Re: signal BUS (invalid address alignment)

Discussion in 'C++' started by Mike Wahler, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Mike Wahler

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Suresh <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > My C++ program crashes with "signal BUS (invalid address alignment)" at
    > random places. Does anyone know what this could mean ? What is the cause

    of
    > signal BUS ?

    You have a bug on line 37.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Mike Wahler

    Suresh Guest

    "Mike Wahler" <> wrote in message

    > Suresh <> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > My C++ program crashes with "signal BUS (invalid address alignment)" at
    > > random places. Does anyone know what this could mean ? What is the cause

    > of
    > > signal BUS ?

    > You have a bug on line 37.
    >
    > -Mike

    Thanks to everyone.

    Well it was not always line "37" where my program crashed. It happened at
    different locations in the code, as I mentioned in the earlier post.

    I tested the program on a different machine and it seems to work fine. So I
    guess it was really some hardware problem.

    Thanks again for all you replies.

    Suresh, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Mike Wahler

    Ron Natalie Guest

    "Suresh" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Well it was not always line "37" where my program crashed. It happened at
    > different locations in the code, as I mentioned in the earlier post.

    That was a scarcastic comment about the fact that you expect us to diagnose
    your problem withou seeing your code.

    > I tested the program on a different machine and it seems to work fine. So I
    > guess it was really some hardware problem.

    Doubtful. You most likely have undefined behavior. One of the insidious
    features of undefined behavior is that it might work perfectly in some cases
    and not in others.

    Ron Natalie, Aug 22, 2003