Re: simple client data base

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peter Otten, Sep 3, 2012.

  1. Peter Otten

    Peter Otten Guest

    Chris Angelico wrote:

    > You may also be needlessly reinventing the wheel. Aren't there already
    > several million basic contact databases around? Why roll your own?

    To learn a thing or two, and to stick it to the defeatists ;)

    Peter Otten, Sep 3, 2012

  2. On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:22:24 -0400, Mark R Rivet <>

    > Yes, that's the reason. I need to learn something. Without getting
    > into the complexities of relational database's for now.

    Given the ease of use of SQLite3, I think you'd be better served by
    using an RDBM rather then try to manage persistence of Python in-memory
    objects (pickle is not guaranteed to be compatible between versions of
    Python; and for all these schemes you become responsible for loading and
    saving a block of data using Python level instructions. RDBM interfaces
    normally take care of translating the low-level entities between Python
    and database format; you don't have to develop search and filter logic
    to manage subsets of the data, etc.).

    There is even a plugin for Mozilla -- SQLite Manager -- since
    Mozilla uses SQLite3 internally, which can give you rudimentary
    graphical access to raw databases (so you can debug the data in the
    database while developing the application code to "properly" access the
    data).

    Dabo is attempting to be a Python "Visual FoxPro" equivalent.
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Sep 8, 2012