Re: simple string format question

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Angel, Oct 15, 2012.

  1. Dave Angel

    Dave Angel Guest

    On 10/15/2012 08:29 AM, Chris Rebert wrote:
    > On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Neal Becker <> wrote:
    >> Is there a way to specify to format I want a floating point written with no more
    >> than e.g., 2 digits after the decimal? I tried {:.2f}, but then I get all
    >> floats written with 2 digits, even if they are 0:
    >>
    >> 2.35 << yes, that's what I want
    >> 2.00 << no, I want just 2 or 2.

    > Not that I can find. Seems you'll have to implement it yourself.

    To do it yourself, probably best to use a temp string value, created by
    format "{: f}". (Notice the space before the f, to reserve space for
    the sign) Then, slice that value to length 4 . Finally, in your actual
    format, use :5s for a format. This should add the blanks for padding,
    so other columns still line up.

    --

    DaveA

    Dave Angel, Oct 15, 2012