Re: simple text config file parser?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Phil Hanna, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Phil Hanna

    Phil Hanna Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:46:24 -0700, Sujee Maniyam
    <> wrote:

    >HI,
    >I am looking for a parser to read / write a config file like this..
    >
    >---
    > # comment
    > [Version]
    > 1.0.0
    >
    > [SectionA]
    > #section comment
    > propA1=valueA1
    >
    > [SectionB]
    > b1
    > b2
    >---
    >
    >The parset should be
    > - in java
    > - open source. Something from Apache would be great.
    > - should be able to *WRITE* the file as well (say user changes a
    >property in GUI). most of the parsers can't do this, while maintaining
    >the structure.
    > - I prefer plain text for config files, no xml.
    >

    >any suggestions would be appreciated. I almost started doing mine, but
    >don't want to re-invent the wheel for something so basic.

    Sometimes reinventing the wheel is less trouble than searching for a
    package that will do exactly what you want, learning it, customizing
    it, etc. What's the point? This is a very simple class to write.
    Why not just take a crack at it?
    --
    Phil Hanna
    Author of JSP 2.0: The Complete Reference
    Phil Hanna, Jul 1, 2003