Re: Simulate socket with files or stdin/stdout

Discussion in 'Python' started by Josiah Carlson, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. [
    > Now my question is, if someone has done something similar and can give me
    > some hints where to start, what to look for etc. Maybe someone even has
    > another idea how to solve this problem.
    >
    > A skript that does something similar like "netcat" would be a good starting
    > point, since I'm really new to python programming.
    >
    > The script should be usable on the MAC, PC and UNIX platform.

    On OSX and *nix, you'll have no problems using stdin and stdout for
    communication with Python (I don't know about Modula2). In Windows,
    you're going to have a few issues with stdin and stdout, but there are
    workarounds using pywin32.

    On OSX and *nix, you'll have no problems using files for communicating
    with Python. In Windows, files can't be used as pipes like they are in
    *nix, so this isn't even an option.

    I'd say try for stdin/stdout, and check out the documentation on doing
    stdin and stdout with pywin32.

    - Josiah
    Josiah Carlson, Apr 1, 2004