Re: Site map?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Oct 1, 2008.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    DLU <> wrote:

    > I had one
    > suggestion to make the search function look for items in the site, I do
    > not know how to do that, it looks like another learning experience.

    Look at Google or Atomz for a search function you can stick on your site.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 1, 2008

  2. dorayme

    Irina Rempt Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> I had one
    >> suggestion to make the search function look for items in the site, I do
    >> not know how to do that, it looks like another learning experience.

    > Look at Google or Atomz for a search function you can stick on your site.

    I'm not DLU, but I've been looking at Google (Atomz won't let me look
    without signing up) and I'd rather have a search function all my own that
    doesn't put ads on my site (well, on the results page; same thing for me,
    it's still ads that *I* make *my* readers see). If Atomz does that too,
    it's not for me either.

    Irina

    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

    Irina Rempt, Oct 2, 2008

  3. dorayme

    Irina Rempt Guest

    Irina Rempt wrote:

    (grr, comes from wrangling with teenagers when trying to post)

    > I'd rather have a search function all my own that
    > doesn't put ads on my site

    .... even if that means that I'll have to write my own. Currently learning
    Perl.

    Irina

    Irina Rempt, Oct 2, 2008
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <48e45991$0$185$4all.nl>,
    Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > DLU <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I had one
    > >> suggestion to make the search function look for items in the site, I do
    > >> not know how to do that, it looks like another learning experience.

    > > Look at Google or Atomz for a search function you can stick on your site.

    > I'm not DLU, but I've been looking at Google (Atomz won't let me look
    > without signing up) and I'd rather have a search function all my own that
    > doesn't put ads on my site (well, on the results page; same thing for me,
    > it's still ads that *I* make *my* readers see). If Atomz does that too,
    > it's not for me either.

    It is the price of the free service, Atomz separates the ads from the
    results found in your site. Google too. And you can customise things
    quite a bit. I realise it is not for everyone. Perhaps others will
    suggest other strategies that are easy to implement.

    What do you do instead?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 2, 2008
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <48e45a08$0$185$4all.nl>,
    Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > Irina Rempt wrote:
    >
    > (grr, comes from wrangling with teenagers when trying to post)
    >
    > > I'd rather have a search function all my own that
    > > doesn't put ads on my site

    > ... even if that means that I'll have to write my own. Currently learning
    > Perl.

    Ah.., well, good luck in getting one (in the main function) as good as
    the two I mentioned... <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 2, 2008
  6. dorayme

    Irina Rempt Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > It is the price of the free service, Atomz separates the ads from the
    > results found in your site. Google too. And you can customise things
    > quite a bit. I realise it is not for everyone. Perhaps others will
    > suggest other strategies that are easy to implement.
    >
    > What do you do instead?

    Currently I don't have search at all except on my blog (that's in Perl, and
    I can *almost* understand it, but I can't get to search anything *except*
    the blog). I've been looking into htsearch but I'm having trouble getting
    the apache server to understand that it's there, or vice versa. Ah well,
    people find me with google anyway, and it's not as if I want to make money
    with my site.

    Irina

    Irina Rempt, Oct 2, 2008
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <48e4707b$0$194$4all.nl>,
    Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > It is the price of the free service, Atomz separates the ads from the
    > > results found in your site. Google too. And you can customise things
    > > quite a bit. I realise it is not for everyone. Perhaps others will
    > > suggest other strategies that are easy to implement.
    > >
    > > What do you do instead?

    > Currently I don't have search at all except on my blog (that's in Perl, and
    > I can *almost* understand it, but I can't get to search anything *except*
    > the blog). I've been looking into htsearch but I'm having trouble getting
    > the apache server to understand that it's there, or vice versa. Ah well,
    > people find me with google anyway, and it's not as if I want to make money
    > with my site.

    People finding you is different to what we are talking about. Have you
    seen an example of what Google or Atomz looks like on a site, you might
    be pleasantly surprised. But I do understand how you might not want it
    even then...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 2, 2008
  8. dorayme

    Irina Rempt Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > People finding you is different to what we are talking about.

    Well, yes, I realise that now (as I said, I was beset by teenagers). I
    meant, I think, that people find what they're looking for anyway; our whole
    site has a high page-rank because everybody links to my other half, who is
    a slightly famous KDE developer.

    (Or they find what they're not looking for; "noun classes" does find my
    page, but it's about noun classes in an invented language)

    > Have you
    > seen an example of what Google or Atomz looks like on a site, you might
    > be pleasantly surprised.

    I've seen many examples of Google-powered site search; I'd never heard of
    Atomz until today, and they won't let me preview it until I sign up (which
    Google does) so I'm wary of it.

    > But I do understand how you might not want it
    > even then...

    If it makes me expose my readers to ads, even well separated from the search
    results, it's still no. (I do suggest that people use google with "site:
    www.valdyas.org/irina", but in that case any ads they see are
    self-inflicted, not inflicted by anything on my site)

    I know that I'm probably too stubborn about this, but I intend to hold out
    against advertising as long as I can.

    Irina

    Irina Rempt, Oct 2, 2008
  9. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <48e49c69$0$201$4all.nl>,
    Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > People finding you is different to what we are talking about.

    > Well, yes, I realise that now (as I said, I was beset by teenagers).

    Yes you did say, teenagers! I am working on a special device to keep
    them under control but I am planning to market it so I can't give
    details publicly at this stage.

    > > Have you
    > > seen an example of what Google or Atomz looks like on a site, you might
    > > be pleasantly surprised.

    > I've seen many examples of Google-powered site search; I'd never heard of
    > Atomz until today, and they won't let me preview it until I sign up (which
    > Google does) so I'm wary of it.

    No need to be wary, they have not bothered me in the slightest in years.
    Anyway, at least I will mention them to St Peter when I get to the
    Gates.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 2, 2008
  10. dorayme

    Bergamot Guest

    http://www.phpdig.net/

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 2, 2008
  11. dorayme

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <48e49c69$0$201$4all.nl>,
    > Irina Rempt <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>
    >> Well, yes, I realise that now (as I said, I was beset by teenagers).

    > Yes you did say, teenagers! I am working on a special device to keep
    > them under control but I am planning to market it so I can't give
    > details publicly at this stage.

    Buy them a cat.

    http://www.bigfivesafaris.co.za/images/Male_lion.jpg

    rf, Oct 2, 2008
  12. dorayme

    Irina Rempt Guest

    Irina Rempt, Oct 2, 2008
  13. dorayme

    Irina Rempt Guest

    Bergamot wrote:

    > Irina Rempt wrote:
    >>
    >> I've been looking at Google (Atomz won't let me look
    >> without signing up) and I'd rather have a search function all my own that
    >> doesn't put ads on my site

    > http://www.phpdig.net/

    Required login before I can read anything; FAQ doesn't respond usefully to
    any of my queries; forums are full of pharmacy spam. No, thanks.

    Irina

    Irina Rempt, Oct 2, 2008
  14. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 02 Oct 2008, Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > I know that I'm probably too stubborn about this, but I intend to
    > hold out against advertising as long as I can.

    Hah! - I don't even watch TV because of advertising, meaning none,
    zero, zilch, bupkis, nada absolutely. And speaking of TV, those who
    are perturbed by the Microsoft "monopoly" should turn their eyes to
    those extant monopolies the U.S. government has handed the cable
    companies on a silver platter. Never has so much crap been issued so
    brazenly by someone so facetious (-except possibly for social
    security.)

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Oct 2, 2008
  15. dorayme

    rf Guest

    "Irina Rempt" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    >> Buy them a cat.
    >>
    >> http://www.bigfivesafaris.co.za/images/Male_lion.jpg

    > Er, what do I feed it when it's finished with them? Won't it eat more than
    > three teenagers do together?

    Pesky neighbours?

    dorayme?

    rf, Oct 2, 2008
  16. dorayme

    Bergamot Guest

    Irina Rempt wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.phpdig.net/

    > Required login before I can read anything;

    Not for me. Yes, there is a login at the top of some pages, but you
    aren't required to log in.

    > FAQ doesn't respond usefully to
    > any of my queries;

    I just went to the documentation page.

    > forums are full of pharmacy spam. No, thanks.

    You're right about that. It looks like it isn't being maintained any
    more. Too bad, it was a nice script. I'm sure there are others out
    there, though. Should be some at script collections like hotscripts.com
    or resourceindex.com.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 2, 2008
  17. dorayme

    Irina Rempt Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    > On 02 Oct 2008, Irina Rempt <> wrote:
    >
    >> I know that I'm probably too stubborn about this, but I intend to
    >> hold out against advertising as long as I can.

    > Hah! - I don't even watch TV because of advertising, meaning none,
    > zero, zilch, bupkis, nada absolutely.

    When our TV broke nobody missed it so we haven't had one for, count on
    fingers, seven years now. We occasionally turn on the set in a holiday
    house, notice that it's full of noise and inanities, and turn it off again.
    (Yes, that includes the teenagers, and it's the programs as much as the

    > And speaking of TV, those who
    > are perturbed by the Microsoft "monopoly" should turn their eyes to
    > those extant monopolies the U.S. government has handed the cable
    > companies on a silver platter. Never has so much crap been issued so
    > brazenly by someone so facetious (-except possibly for social
    > security.)

    Which makes me, once again, exceedingly glad that I'm not in the US.

    Irina

    Irina Rempt, Oct 2, 2008
  18. dorayme

    Irina Rempt Guest

    Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

    > If you are wary of signing up, I suggest getting a servive
    > (I like tuffmail) that allows you to use a new email address
    > for every site and to delete addresses that start getting spam.

    Oh, it's not that, I have junk addresses for signing up; it's just that I
    don't want to enter if they have the shutters down, so to speak.

    Irina

    Irina Rempt, Oct 2, 2008
  19. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <48e4b4d0$0$195$4all.nl>,
    Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > Buy them a cat.
    > >
    > > http://www.bigfivesafaris.co.za/images/Male_lion.jpg

    > Er, what do I feed it when it's finished with them? Won't it eat more than
    > three teenagers do together?

    After it has eaten your three teenagers, it can go for a week or two
    without being too dangerous and in that time you can arrange the start
    of an endless supply of more teenagers...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 2, 2008
  20. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 02 Oct 2008, Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    >>> I know that I'm probably too stubborn about this, but I intend to
    >>> hold out against advertising as long as I can.

    >> Hah! - I don't even watch TV because of advertising, meaning none,
    >> zero, zilch, bupkis, nada absolutely.

    > When our TV broke nobody missed it so we haven't had one for, count
    > on fingers, seven years now. We occasionally turn on the set in a
    > holiday house, notice that it's full of noise and inanities, and turn
    > it off again. (Yes, that includes the teenagers, and it's the
    > programs as much as the ads.)

    A close match to my feelings, indeed. One may occasionally find a few
    worthwhile things on TV but the overwhelming hype and the (at least
    cable) price make looking rather undesirable.

    >> And speaking of TV, those who
    >> are perturbed by the Microsoft "monopoly" should turn their eyes to
    >> those extant monopolies the U.S. government has handed the cable
    >> companies on a silver platter. Never has so much crap been issued
    >> so brazenly by someone so facetious (-except possibly for social
    >> security.)

    > Which makes me, once again, exceedingly glad that I'm not in the US.

    All countries have problems and overall I really like the US for many
    reasons. However, I do think the majority of people who live here are
    very, very stupid and dangerous in the sense of screwing things up for
    everybody, including themselves.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/