Re: Site works on iPhone, not Android Browser

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Neredbojias, Jul 16, 2010.

  1. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Jul 2010, JSoul <> wrote:

    > So here's a good one.... we've got a site with a mobile ready
    > tempalte here:
    >
    > http://www.boldplan.com/s/tiny/c9GXMr
    >
    > Apparently it has a black background. It works perfectly to center
    > the white area in the center on an iPhone. Looks great. On Android
    > phones, the browser finds the center but then thinks the page is
    > 900px wide or something larger than the 360px width in the portrait
    > view. It shows the text then pushes the window away and into the left
    > area that is completely black. While we can eventually get rid of the
    > background, I guess, what is causing this difference between the
    > iPhone and Android browsers?

    Did you know that not a single "regular" non-mobile browser works the
    same as another? Neither is any browser even near error-free.
    Assuming you don't have an actual mistake in the markup, it's up to
    your pagemakers to use the techniques necessary to make it function in
    the browsers of their choice. Valid markup, styling, etc., aren't
    enough.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Jul 16, 2010

  2. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Jul 2010, JSoul <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 03:45:44 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 15 Jul 2010, JSoul <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> So here's a good one.... we've got a site with a mobile ready
    >>> tempalte here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.boldplan.com/s/tiny/c9GXMr
    >>>
    >>> Apparently it has a black background. It works perfectly to center
    >>> the white area in the center on an iPhone. Looks great. On Android
    >>> phones, the browser finds the center but then thinks the page is
    >>> 900px wide or something larger than the 360px width in the portrait
    >>> view. It shows the text then pushes the window away and into the
    >>> left area that is completely black. While we can eventually get rid
    >>> of the background, I guess, what is causing this difference between
    >>> the iPhone and Android browsers?

    >>Did you know that not a single "regular" non-mobile browser works the
    >>same as another? Neither is any browser even near error-free.
    >>Assuming you don't have an actual mistake in the markup, it's up to
    >>your pagemakers to use the techniques necessary to make it function
    >>in the browsers of their choice. Valid markup, styling, etc., aren't
    >>enough.

    > Thanks - (sorry for the doublepost, didn't realize this went out when
    > the newsreader crashed!)
    >
    > Many pages do look the same when they aren't mobile optimized,
    > interestingly enough...

    Sure. Chances are a page *will* look the same (-within reason) in any
    2 browsers, -or even 3 or 4. Most markup and styling does perform
    inter-browser pretty well. But then one day you'll do something
    different and even though it's completely valid, it won't work in this
    browser or that browser without a completely new approach or some kind
    of "hack" to get around the deficiency. This is particularly true if
    you try something complex like multi-positioning or dynamic styling.
    I'll admit I'm a bit jaded on the subject but one would think at least
    one or two of the browser-makers would have their shit together by now.
    Of course the w3c is partly to blame, pointedly with their "optional"
    standards. Firefox gets my vote for the best browser out there and
    even it is pitiful in some respects.

    > I guess I'll have to reduce that background.
    > Makes little sense since they are supposedly both using the same
    > codebase for browsing pages.

    The only thing you can do is try it "real time" in all "parsers" you
    care about and see if it works. If not, "fix" it.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/