Re: size of

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Sjouke Burry, Aug 14, 2013.

  1. Sjouke Burry

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    On 13.08.13 20:43, Raj Pashwar wrote:
    > Good Morning:
    >
    > I am struggling to find, in my C implementation, which header contains
    > the sizeof() function. Should it be stdlib.h? Or somewhere else?
    >
    > Thank You.

    Google: man sizeof

    Sjouke Burry, Aug 14, 2013

  2. Sjouke Burry <> writes:
    > On 13.08.13 20:43, Raj Pashwar wrote:
    >> I am struggling to find, in my C implementation, which header contains
    >> the sizeof() function. Should it be stdlib.h? Or somewhere else?
    >>

    > Google: man sizeof

    Or just "sizeof"; on most systems that have the "man" command, there's
    no man page for "sizeof". (The first Google hit for "man sizeof" that
    looks like a man page has some significant errors, such as asserting
    that the result is of type int.)

    Keith Thompson, Aug 14, 2013

  3. Sjouke Burry

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    Keith Thompson <> writes:

    > Sjouke Burry <> writes:
    >> On 13.08.13 20:43, Raj Pashwar wrote:
    >>> I am struggling to find, in my C implementation, which header contains
    >>> the sizeof() function. Should it be stdlib.h? Or somewhere else?
    >>>

    >> Google: man sizeof

    > Or just "sizeof"; on most systems that have the "man" command, there's
    > no man page for "sizeof". (The first Google hit for "man sizeof" that
    > looks like a man page has some significant errors, such as asserting
    > that the result is of type int.)

    The wikipedia article that turned up when I tried it just now says
    The result of sizeof is the size of the type of the expression or
    parenthesized type-specifier that it precedes, and has an unsigned
    integral type which is usually denoted by size_t

    Joe Pfeiffer, Aug 14, 2013
  4. Sjouke Burry

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 08/14/2013 12:09 AM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    > Keith Thompson <> writes:
    >
    >> Sjouke Burry <> writes:
    >>>>
    >>> Google: man sizeof

    >> Or just "sizeof"; on most systems that have the "man" command, there's
    >> no man page for "sizeof". (The first Google hit for "man sizeof" that
    >> looks like a man page has some significant errors, such as asserting
    >> that the result is of type int.)

    > The wikipedia article that turned up when I tried it just now says
    > The result of sizeof is the size of the type of the expression or
    > parenthesized type-specifier that it precedes, and has an unsigned
    > integral type which is usually denoted by size_t

    Did you get to that page by searching for "sizeof" or "man sizeof"? The
    results I got from the latter search on Wikipedia are pretty useless,
    which is the same point Keith was making. The results weren't quite as
    bad - they didn't include an apparently authoritative but incorrect
    description, like the one Keith found.
    --
    James Kuyper

    James Kuyper, Aug 14, 2013
  5. Sjouke Burry

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    James Kuyper <> writes:

    > On 08/14/2013 12:09 AM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    >> Keith Thompson <> writes:

    >>> Or just "sizeof"; on most systems that have the "man" command, there's
    >>> no man page for "sizeof". (The first Google hit for "man sizeof" that
    >>> looks like a man page has some significant errors, such as asserting
    >>> that the result is of type int.)

    >> The wikipedia article that turned up when I tried it just now says
    >> The result of sizeof is the size of the type of the expression or
    >> parenthesized type-specifier that it precedes, and has an unsigned
    >> integral type which is usually denoted by size_t

    > Did you get to that page by searching for "sizeof" or "man sizeof"? The
    > results I got from the latter search on Wikipedia are pretty useless,
    > which is the same point Keith was making. The results weren't quite as
    > bad - they didn't include an apparently authoritative but incorrect
    > description, like the one Keith found.

    googling either 'sizeof' and 'man sizeof' gave me the same wikipedia
    page. I missed the "looks like a man page" clause in Keith's post; the
    second hit for 'man sizeof'
    (http://nesssoftware.com/home/mwc/manpage.php?page=sizeof) looks like
    what Keith was talking about.

    Joe Pfeiffer, Aug 14, 2013
  6. Sjouke Burry

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 08/14/2013 12:02 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    > James Kuyper <> writes:

    >>> The wikipedia article that turned up when I tried it just now says
    >>> The result of sizeof is the size of the type of the expression or
    >>> parenthesized type-specifier that it precedes, and has an unsigned
    >>> integral type which is usually denoted by size_t

    >> Did you get to that page by searching for "sizeof" or "man sizeof"? The
    >> results I got from the latter search on Wikipedia are pretty useless,
    >> which is the same point Keith was making. The results weren't quite as
    >> bad - they didn't include an apparently authoritative but incorrect
    >> description, like the one Keith found.

    > googling either 'sizeof' and 'man sizeof' gave me the same wikipedia
    > page. ...

    Googling for sizeof took me to
    <https://www.google.com/search?q=sizeof&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a>
    The first hit is the Wikipedia page for Sizeof, which I would recommend.
    The misleading man page from nesssoftware.con is nowhere in the top 10.

    Googling for "man sizeof" took me to a page which, according to Firefox,
    has exactly the same URL, which mentions sizeof but not 'man'. However,
    the list of hits is different. The misleading man page from
    nesssoftware.com is the first hit, and the Wikipedia page is nowhere in
    the top 10.

    Googling for man sizeof (without the double quotes) took me to a third
    page with exactly the same URL, but now the Wikipedia page is the first
    hit, while the misleading nesssoftware.com is in second place.

    I had some ideas about how URLs work, and how Google search works, that
    are inconsistent with the fact that these three searches produced
    exactly the same URLs, but different search results. If anyone could
    explain, I'd appreciate it.

    James Kuyper, Aug 14, 2013
  7. On 14-Aug-13 11:29, James Kuyper wrote:
    > I had some ideas about how URLs work, and how Google search works,
    > that are inconsistent with the fact that these three searches
    > produced exactly the same URLs, but different search results. If
    > anyone could explain, I'd appreciate it.

    Google returns different results for different people, based on what it
    thinks they want to see. It also returns different results over time as
    algorithms change, databases are updated, etc. Ergo, referring to its
    results without giving a specific target URL is pretty much useless.

    Stephen Sprunk, Aug 14, 2013