Re: Slightly OT - using PyUIC from Eclipse

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steve Simmons, May 1, 2014.

  1. On 30/04/2014 23:49, Fabio Zadrozny wrote:

    On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Steve Simmons <> wrote:
    I'm trying to set up a new dev environment using Windows 7; Eclipse (Kepler); Python 3.3; PyDev and PyQt 5 and I've hit an issue getting PyUIC to generate a python Qt class from within Eclipse.

    I'm using the following setup process (from Google Groups)  modified to match my PyQt5 configuration:

    1. Click Run -> External Tools -> External Tools Configurations ...
    2. In the resulting dialog, click 'New' icon in the top left
    3. Under 'Name' put 'PyUIC'
    4. Under 'Location' enter 'C:\Program Files\Python\2.5\Python.exe' or
    the path to your Python executable (probably C:\Python25\Python.exe)
    5. Under 'Arguments' enter '"C:\Program Files\Python\2.5\Lib\site-
    packages\PyQt4\uic\pyuic.py"  "${resource_loc}"' substituting the path
    to your PyQt4 installation - be sure also to include the double quotes
    6. Change to the 'Common' tab and check 'File' under 'Standard Input/
    Output' and enter '${resource_loc}.py'
    7. Change to the 'Build' tab and uncheck 'Build before launch'
    8. Change to the 'Refresh' tab and check 'Refresh resources upon
    completion'
    9. Click 'Apply' then 'Run'

    and I'm getting the following traceback:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "D:\Development\Python33\Lib\site-packages\PyQt5\uic\pyuic.py",
    line 28, in <module>
        from .driver import Driver
    SystemError: Parent module '' not loaded, cannot perform relative import

    I tried this on Qt4 a week or so ago and it worked OK but Qt5 is giving me an error message, so I guess I've either mis-transcribed or there's a difference in the directory structure betwee PyQt4 & PyQt5.

    I'm more interested to learn how to read the traceback (insightfully) and track it to the source of the problem, although it would be good to have it working too!!

    Steve Simmons

    PS Also posted to PyQT list.

    The problem is that a main module cannot perform relative imports on Python. To overcome that limitation, Python created a workaround to execute a module with:

    python -m 'module.name'

    So, If you execute Python as:

    python -m PyQt5.uic.pyuic

    (instead of "python C:\Program Files\Python\2.5\Lib\site-packages\PyQt5\uic\pyuic.py")

    it should work.

    If you want, you can read an answer on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14132789/python-relative-imports-for-the-billionth-time for more details on why it doesn't work and the other way does...

    Cheers,

    Fabio

    Thanks Fabio, just what I needed. I've started to read the SO posts and relevant PEP but my brain is fried (it is 01:45 here) so I'll have a better read in the morning and 'play' with some modules so that I properly understand what's going on.

    Regards

    Steve

    Steve Simmons, May 1, 2014

  2. On Thu, 01 May 2014 01:49:25 +0100, Steve Simmons wrote:

    > <head>
    > </head>
    > wrote:<br>
    > cite="mid:CANXBEFrqndqCeT-9Hgqz7jRCZcmp8nz4VE+ebf-BKsYr54qQqQ
    > @mail.gmail.com"
    > type="cite">

    And that's about where I stopped reading.

    I'm sorry Steve, but you're writing to a programmer's forum here, and you
    should be sending in plain text, not so-called "rich text" (actually HTML
    code, as you can see). At the very least, if you absolutely must send
    HTML code, you should instruct your mail program to also send plain text.

    People are reading this via Usenet and email and possibly using other
    ways as well. Depending on how they are receiving your post, sending HTML
    may be considered rude and a breach of etiquette (e.g. text-based news
    groups typically ban binary attachments, including HTML), or their client
    may not support HTML, or they may simply choose not to receive or read
    such posts. (Pure HTML is one of the most reliable signs of spam email.)

    So I'm afraid that I have no idea what you were trying to say in your
    post. Manually deciphering the message from the markup was too painful.
    I'm not likely to be the only one. If you would care to try again using
    plain text, you may get a better response rate.

    --
    Steven D'Aprano
    http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/

    Steven D'Aprano, May 1, 2014

  3. On 4/30/14 8:50 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2014 01:49:25 +0100, Steve Simmons wrote:

    >> <head>
    >> </head>
    >> wrote:<br>
    >> cite="mid:CANXBEFrqndqCeT-9Hgqz7jRCZcmp8nz4VE+ebf-BKsYr54qQqQ
    >> @mail.gmail.com"
    >> type="cite">

    > And that's about where I stopped reading.

    Post as quote:

    > I'm trying to set up a new dev environment using Windows 7;
    > Eclipse (Kepler); Python 3.3; PyDev and PyQt 5 and I've hit an
    > issue getting PyUIC to generate a python Qt class from within Eclipse.
    >
    > I'm using the following setup process (from Google Groups) modified
    > to match my PyQt5 configuration:
    >
    > 1. Click Run -> External Tools -> External Tools Configurations ...
    > 2. In the resulting dialog, click 'New' icon in the top left
    > 3. Under 'Name' put 'PyUIC'
    > 4. Under 'Location' enter 'C:\Program Files\Python\2.5\Python.exe' or
    > the path to your Python executable (probably C:\Python25\Python.exe)
    > 5. Under 'Arguments' enter '"C:\Program Files\Python\2.5\Lib\site-
    > packages\PyQt4\uic\pyuic.py" "${resource_loc}"' substituting the path
    > to your PyQt4 installation - be sure also to include the double quotes
    > 6. Change to the 'Common' tab and check 'File' under 'Standard Input/
    > Output' and enter '${resource_loc}.py'
    > 7. Change to the 'Build' tab and uncheck 'Build before launch'
    > 8. Change to the 'Refresh' tab and check 'Refresh resources upon
    > completion'
    > 9. Click 'Apply' then 'Run'

    > and I'm getting the following traceback:

    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "D:\Development\Python33\Lib\site-packages\PyQt5\uic\pyuic.py",
    > line 28, in <module>
    > from .driver import Driver
    > SystemError: Parent module '' not loaded, cannot perform relative import
    > I tried this on Qt4 a week or so ago and it worked OK but Qt5 is giving me
    > an error message, so I guess I've either mis-transcribed or there's a difference
    > in the directory structure betwee PyQt4 & PyQt5.
    >
    > I'm more interested to learn how to read the traceback (insightfully) and
    > track it to the source of the problem, although it would be good to have it working too!!
    >
    > Steve Simmons
    >
    > PS Also posted to PyQT list.

    Cheers

    Mark H Harris, May 1, 2014
  4. On 01/05/2014 02:50, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2014 01:49:25 +0100, Steve Simmons wrote:

    >> <head>
    >> </head>
    >> wrote:<br>
    >> cite="mid:CANXBEFrqndqCeT-9Hgqz7jRCZcmp8nz4VE+ebf-BKsYr54qQqQ
    >> @mail.gmail.com"
    >> type="cite">

    > And that's about where I stopped reading.
    >
    > I'm sorry Steve, but you're writing to a programmer's forum here, and you
    > should be sending in plain text, not so-called "rich text" (actually HTML
    > code, as you can see). At the very least, if you absolutely must send
    > HTML code, you should instruct your mail program to also send plain text.
    >
    > People are reading this via Usenet and email and possibly using other
    > ways as well. Depending on how they are receiving your post, sending HTML
    > may be considered rude and a breach of etiquette (e.g. text-based news
    > groups typically ban binary attachments, including HTML), or their client
    > may not support HTML, or they may simply choose not to receive or read
    > such posts. (Pure HTML is one of the most reliable signs of spam email.)
    >
    > So I'm afraid that I have no idea what you were trying to say in your
    > post. Manually deciphering the message from the markup was too painful.
    > I'm not likely to be the only one. If you would care to try again using
    > plain text, you may get a better response rate.

    Mea Culpa.

    Ironic really, the post was to thank Fabio for resolving my problem
    (posted correctly in plain text) and saying that I was too tired to make
    the required fix. Obviously too tired to hit 'plain text' instead of
    'RTF' in my mail format drop-down too.

    Anyways, a plain text "Thank you" to Fabio for fixing my issue; a "Thank
    you" to Mark Harris for putting my encoded text through the
    transmogrifier and an apology to the rest of the list members.

    Steve

    Steve Simmons, May 1, 2014