Re: Small C "Puzzle"

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Minti, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Minti

    Minti Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > "Minti" <> writes:
    > > "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > > > Minti:
    > > >
    > > > You e-mailed me a question in response to something I posted on

    this
    > > > thread. Please post any questions to the newsgroup. If you must

    send
    > > > me e-mail, don't use a spam-blocked return address. (If

    kissmyass.com
    > > > is meant to be a spam trap, you should pick a different one; it
    > > > happens to be a real domain, and you could be subjecting its

    owner to
    > > > spam that was meant for you.)

    > > Thanks, my mail program is configured to send both mail and post it

    to the
    > > newsgroup, however as a I later checked up after disconnecting that

    it had
    > > failed to upload the message. Ooops.

    > Please reconfigure your mail program so it *doesn't* send your both
    > messages both by e-mail and to the newsgroup.
    >
    > More precisely, it's your mail program, so you can configure it any
    > way you like, but please don't send *me* e-mail messages that
    > duplicate what you post to Usenet. I'm sure that most other people
    > here feel the same way (I've seen plenty of complaints about the
    > practice). My complaint wasn't that your message didn't show up on
    > the newsgroup, it was that it did show up in my mailbox.

    Thanks, even I dislike posts coming up to my mail. I will do so ASAP.

    > And please seriously consider what I wrote above about kissmyass.com.

    YMMV. But you mention that you could not mail me because of this
    address. However/FYI I do sometimes care to add my mail address in my
    sig..

    HAND

    --
    Imanpreet Singh Arora
    isingh AT acm DOT org

    Minti, Aug 31, 2004

  2. "Minti" <> writes:
    > Keith Thompson wrote:

    [...]
    > > And please seriously consider what I wrote above about kissmyass.com.

    > YMMV. But you mention that you could not mail me because of this
    > address. However/FYI I do sometimes care to add my mail address in my
    > sig..

    I think you misunderstood my point.

    I didn't try to send you e-mail once I saw that you had two different
    e-mail addresses in your message; I wasn't going to take the time to
    figure out how to contact you.

    I'm assuming that the kissmyass.com address isn't your real address,
    but there really is a domain by that name. By using a kissmyass.com
    address as a spam trap, you could be causing the owner of the real
    kissmyass.com to receive more spam. Even if the address isn't a valid
    one at that site, it could still have an effect on that system's
    network load.

    If you're going to post an invalid address to avoid spam, use one that
    can't possibly be valid (unless it goes to a system that you own and
    you're prepared to handle the spam). You might try something like
    <>. (Or perhaps something a bit less rude, but
    that's up to you.)

    Keith Thompson, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Minti

    CBFalconer Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > If you're going to post an invalid address to avoid spam, use one that
    > can't possibly be valid (unless it goes to a system that you own and
    > you're prepared to handle the spam). You might try something like
    > <>. (Or perhaps something a bit less rude, but
    > that's up to you.)

    That is what the .invalid value is for.

    --
    "Churchill and Bush can both be considered wartime leaders, just
    as Secretariat and Mr Ed were both horses." - James Rhodes.

    CBFalconer, Aug 31, 2004