Re: So what exactly is a complex number?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Mellon, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. Chris Mellon

    Chris Mellon Guest

    On 8/31/07, Carsten Haese <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 20:11 -0500, Lamonte Harris wrote:
    > > Like in math where you put letters that represent numbers for place
    > > holders to try to find the answer type complex numbers?

    > Is English your native language? I'm having a hard time decoding your
    > question.

    I'm pretty sure he was describing middle school algebra.
    Chris Mellon, Aug 31, 2007

  2. Chris Mellon

    iapain Guest

    > > On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 20:11 -0500, Lamonte Harris wrote:
    > > > Like in math where you put letters that represent numbers for place
    > > > holders to try to find the answer type complex numbers?

    You shouldnt worry about it in python, its pretty large to handle all
    your calc.
    iapain, Aug 31, 2007

  3. Chris Mellon

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 31 Aug, 18:12, "Chris Mellon" <> wrote:
    > On 8/31/07, Carsten Haese <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 20:11 -0500, Lamonte Harris wrote:
    > > > Like in math where you put letters that represent numbers for place
    > > > holders to try to find the answer type complex numbers?

    > > Is English your native language? I'm having a hard time decoding your
    > > question.

    > I'm pretty sure he was describing middle school algebra.

    Yes, I imagine that the "letters that represent numbers" is intended
    to refer to this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_algebra

    Whereas complex numbers are, of course, described here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number

    I hope the above resources are informative for the original inquirer.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, Aug 31, 2007
  4. On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 11:13 -0600, Lamonte Harris wrote:
    > >Is English your native language? I'm having a hard time decoding your

    > question.
    > dont be an ass....

    I'm sorry you took it this way. I was only trying to help. It won't
    happen again.

    --
    Carsten Haese
    http://informixdb.sourceforge.net
    Carsten Haese, Aug 31, 2007
  5. Chris Mellon

    Steve Holden Guest

    Carsten Haese wrote:
    > On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 11:13 -0600, Lamonte Harris wrote:
    >>> Is English your native language? I'm having a hard time decoding your

    >> question.
    >> dont be an ass....

    > I'm sorry you took it this way. I was only trying to help. It won't
    > happen again.

    For what it's worth, I too had difficulty parsing "Like in math where
    you put letters that represent numbers for place holders to try to find
    the answer type complex numbers?", so I suppose I must be an ass too.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Aug 31, 2007