Re: Soap Question (WSDL)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Adriaan Renting, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. You need the WSDL file if you want external probrams to be able to discover what WebService you are running, so it depends on your need if you need to use one. You can perfectly run a SOAP service without a WSDL file, using SOAPpy, only then external programs do not have a way to find out how to talk to you.
    A WSDL file just defines what messages, operations, urls etc. you accept/send/offer.
    If your external applications know how to talk to you, you can do without a WSDL file.

    It contains stuff like:
    <wsdl:message name="sayHelloResponse1">
    <wsdl:part name="sayHelloReturn" type="soapenc:string"/>
    </wsdl:message>
    <wsdl:eek:peration name="sayHello">
    <wsdlsoap:eek:peration soapAction=""/>
    <wsdl:input name="sayHelloRequest1">
    <wsdlsoap:body encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" namespace="urn:something.test" use="encoded"/>
    </wsdl:input>
    <wsdl:eek:utput name="sayHelloResponse1">
    <wsdlsoap:body encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" namespace="urn:something.test" use="encoded"/>
    </wsdl:eek:utput>
    </wsdl:eek:peration>

    >>>"Armin" <> 09/30/05 12:56 am >>>

    Hey everyone,

    I am trying to write a web app. that connects to flickr using SOAP. The
    book 'Dive into python' says I need to have a WSDL file to connect,
    while the only useful soap related url flickr api
    (flickr.com/services/api) provides is the following:

    The SOAP Server Endpoint URL is http://www.flickr.com/services/soap/

    What am I supposed to do here? Help is very much appreciated at this
    point.

    Thanks,
    Armin

    Adriaan Renting, Sep 30, 2005