Re: Social Analysis and Modeling for Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bishara Gabriel, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. I would be most willing to work with you in insuring that the specifics
    of public health are accounted for and one is then able to witness and
    experiment with the varying outcomes of various health promotion
    campaigns and interventions.

    Cameron was indeed correct to point out pre-existing efforts in this
    area, and I immediately corrected the wording so as we no long assert
    that we will be "introducing" OOP to the social sciences. Cameron
    verified that I had corrected the issue appropriately. Pre-existing
    efforts will be acknowledged on our website pending its launch. The PSF
    has made clear that they favor concise proposals, and such references
    within the proposal would extend beyond the scope of the call.

    By "other" GPL, I assume you mean LGPL? We most likely will use the GPL
    but this may be discussed further. It has not been etched in stone as yet.

    Thank you for your encouragements and enthusiastic commentary. We very
    much value feedback.

    Let me know if you would like to participate in the project.

    Sincerely,
    Bishara Gabriel
    Bishara Gabriel, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Actually, back in school, I worked for a sociology professor doing a
    human population simulator, where we had all these people objects and
    a set of functions that updated their attributes as time went on, but
    we were forced to do it in C to have in run on the campus
    supercomputer, so it wasn't what you'd call object oriented. I can
    see how using Python would make the modeling aspects a lot simpler.
    So, to sum, sounds cool, hope you have a lot of sucess with it.

    Corey Coughlin, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Corey Coughlin wrote:

    >Actually, back in school, I worked for a sociology professor doing a
    >human population simulator, where we had all these people objects and
    >a set of functions that updated their attributes as time went on, but
    >we were forced to do it in C to have in run on the campus
    >supercomputer, so it wasn't what you'd call object oriented. I can
    >see how using Python would make the modeling aspects a lot simpler.
    >So, to sum, sounds cool, hope you have a lot of sucess with it.

    C??? My, that isn't even C++. That must have been a real pain (mind
    stretcher) I imagine. What is your area of specialty?

    Thanks for the encouragement. We also are hoping to have a lot of success!
    Bishara Gabriel, Oct 1, 2004
  4. Bishara Gabriel

    Tim Churches Guest

    On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 04:46, Corey Coughlin wrote:
    > Actually, back in school, I worked for a sociology professor doing a
    > human population simulator, where we had all these people objects and
    > a set of functions that updated their attributes as time went on, but
    > we were forced to do it in C to have in run on the campus
    > supercomputer, so it wasn't what you'd call object oriented. I can
    > see how using Python would make the modeling aspects a lot simpler.
    > So, to sum, sounds cool, hope you have a lot of sucess with it.

    Yes, my 9 yr old son loves playing SimCity (so do I) - see
    http://simcity.ea.com A political economy plug-in for SimCity would be
    cool. Maybe the Social Analysis and Modeling for Python project should
    also look at the Pygame framework (see http://www.pygame.org )? Just
    don't tell the academics...

    --

    Tim C

    PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
    or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
    Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0
    Tim Churches, Oct 1, 2004
  5. Yeah, working with C made it pretty horrible, you had to use records
    and functions to try to simulate objects, and basically it meant that
    anytime someone made a change, there was often an unfortunate ripple
    effect. And the memory leaks, ugh. And my background was electrical
    engineering, so that didn't help too much, but I picked things up
    pretty quickly. I made a little knock off version of the program
    that, instead of simulating an entire population, took a single
    individual and did a monte carlo simulation of possible futures of
    that person. The results were a little more personal that way. But
    that was all a long time ago, I'm sure the state of the art is far
    beyond that now.

    -------- Corey

    Corey Coughlin, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Bishara Gabriel

    Tim Churches Guest

    On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 07:19, Corey Coughlin wrote:
    > Yeah, working with C made it pretty horrible, you had to use records
    > and functions to try to simulate objects, and basically it meant that
    > anytime someone made a change, there was often an unfortunate ripple
    > effect. And the memory leaks, ugh. And my background was electrical
    > engineering, so that didn't help too much, but I picked things up
    > pretty quickly. I made a little knock off version of the program
    > that, instead of simulating an entire population, took a single
    > individual and did a monte carlo simulation of possible futures of
    > that person. The results were a little more personal that way. But
    > that was all a long time ago, I'm sure the state of the art is far
    > beyond that now.

    Seriously, the benchmark these days are games like SimCity, Civilisation
    and Age of Empires, or The Sims for a more personal perspective.
    Spending a few days playing these games is mandatory research for the
    Social Analysis and Modelling for Python team.

    Are there any existing open source or commercial simulation games
    written in or scriptable with Python, I wonder?

    Tim Churches, Oct 6, 2004
  7. Tim Churches wrote:

    > <SNIP>
    >

    >Seriously, the benchmark these days are games like SimCity, Civilisation
    >and Age of Empires, or The Sims for a more personal perspective.
    >Spending a few days playing these games is mandatory research for the
    >Social Analysis and Modelling for Python team.
    >
    >Are there any existing open source or commercial simulation games
    >written in or scriptable with Python, I wonder?

    Well, we did not budget into the proposal the purchase of SimCity,
    Civilization, and/or Age of Empires. So I do not think this will at all
    play into our design. However, if someone would like to donate these
    games to our effort, we would then be capable of incorporating and
    taking into account their simulative qualities.

    I do not know of any python simulation games, just RPGs and FPSs which
    use Python as a glue and game engine driver. There are open source
    simulations though, just not in Python. Remember though that this is
    not intended to be some sort of simplistic, fun, entertainment oriented
    development. It is (in theoretical existence) a serious academic tool
    intended to serve the demands of social scientific research.

    Sincerely,
    Bishara Gabriel
    Bishara Gabriel, Oct 7, 2004
  8. Tim,
    I agree entirely that it would be optimum for us not to confine
    ourselves to purely traditional academic arenas. Nevertheless, the
    scope of our project, as dictated by our proposal, already demands a
    great deal of us in a relatively short period of time. We therefore
    must narrow our efforts to focus on the specifics outlined in the
    proposal.

    Indeed, a separate mailing-list would be advantageous to the respective
    members of the project. Note though that the project has not yet been
    approved for support by the PSF. If by some unfortunate factors it was
    rejected, I can make no guarantees as to the capabilities of David and I
    in regards to fulfilling the project expectations.

    Best Regards,
    Bishara Gabriel
    Bishara Gabriel, Oct 7, 2004