Re: socket.unbind or socket.unlisten? - socket.error: (48, 'Addressalready in use')

Discussion in 'Python' started by Laszlo Nagy, Feb 1, 2009.

  1. Laszlo Nagy

    Laszlo Nagy Guest

    > 8<------------------------------
    >

    >> ....... Setting the
    >> SO_REUSEADDR flag on POSIX fixes this problem (don't set it on Windows,
    >> though).
    >>

    > Why not? I have been merrily setting it, and I have not noticed anything weird.
    > (yet)

    Please see my original post. I specifically stated that I do not want to
    use setsockopt and be able to listen on the same port from many
    processes. I knew that I could use SO_REUSEADDR, but I'm heistating to
    do so. I must guarantee that only one process listens on a given port at
    the same time.

    Maybe I could use some kind of locking, but it would be too difficult:

    - mutexes are great but they are platform dependent and they are not in
    the standard lib
    - the listening processes do not see each other's home directory so file
    locking cannot be used for this
    - these processes will probably listen on many ports at the same time,
    it is also a problem with mutexes/file locks (who wants 50 lock files to
    be created?)

    Best,

    Laszlo

    Laszlo Nagy, Feb 1, 2009