Re: Sockets for inter-process communication

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jon A. Cruz, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Jon A. Cruz

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Is this terribly inefficient? What I mean is - using a network socket to
    > exchange objects with another app or thread on the same machine.

    Have you actually looked into this at all?

    On most systems I know of, a socket to the local machine (i.e 127.0.0.1,
    etc) never even hits the ethernet hardware. It just stays in memory and
    gets bumpped around a little.

    I've even seen bugs exposed because running the client and server both
    on the same machine suddenly makes stuff waaaaaay faster.
    Jon A. Cruz, Jun 28, 2003