Re: "Soft" hyphens

Discussion in 'HTML' started by spaghetti, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. spaghetti

    spaghetti Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to have "soft" hyphens or "soft" spaces in lines of text,

    lines which may
    > have to break, depending on the width available? (By "soft" I mean a

    space or hyphen
    > which disappears when not needed.)

    You can't do this. :( You simply shouldn't put hyphenation in the HTML
    anyway. Let the browser handle it. Sadly most can't. And most are too stupid
    to split and wrap segments like
    informative/encouraging/discouraging/travelling/whatever when it nears the
    end of a line. The best you can do is just put a single space after each /
    and that will allow it to wrap sensibly on current browsers.

    > I suppose what I'm after is better control of the display.

    The sad thing about web building is that you can only make "suggestions" as
    to how it should look. Anything more just makes a site that is awkward and
    unintuitive. If you want full control... there's always Adobe Acrobat and
    the like. :)

    spaghetti, Jun 24, 2003