Re: "Soft" hyphens

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Augustus, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Augustus

    Augustus Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > .
    > Is there a way to have "soft" hyphens or "soft" spaces in lines of text,

    lines which may
    > have to break, depending on the width available? (By "soft" I mean a

    space or hyphen
    > which disappears when not needed.)
    >
    > Example:
    > Line of text:
    > "informative/encouraging/discouraging/travelling/whatever"
    >
    > when what would be better is:
    > "informative/encouraging/discouraging/travelling/
    > whatever"

    A kind of bandaid approach would be to put a span in there with a space and
    width set to 0...

    ie:

    informative/encouraging/discouraging/<span style='width:0;'>

    The blank space won't show up (due to width) and it should break on the
    blank space still
    Augustus, Jun 24, 2003

  2. "Augustus" <> wrote:

    All correctly behaving browsers will ignore the style sheet.

    If you're about to play some tricks, using spaces but trying to make
    them look narrow or nonexistent, the word-spacing property (for which
    negative values are allowed) might be a better deck of cards.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 24, 2003

  3. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "Augustus" <> wrote:

    > All correctly behaving browsers will ignore the style sheet.
    >
    > If you're about to play some tricks, using spaces but trying to make
    > them look narrow or nonexistent, the word-spacing property (for which
    > negative values are allowed) might be a better deck of cards.

    If you set the justification to 'justify' instead of the default 'left' then
    it should send it to it's own line after it gets too big. Not sure if it
    will also scrunch the text to fit into it's container or just wrap
    around....i've never had a reason to find out.
    Anonymous Joe, Jun 25, 2003
  4. "Anonymous Joe" <> wrote:

    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    >> "Augustus" <> wrote:

    >> All correctly behaving browsers will ignore the style sheet.
    >>
    >> If you're about to play some tricks, using spaces but trying to
    >> make them look narrow or nonexistent, the word-spacing property
    >> (for which negative values are allowed) might be a better deck of
    >> cards.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    >> Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html

    > If you set the justification to 'justify' instead of the default
    > 'left' then it should send it to it's own line after it gets too
    > big.

    You quoted my message comprehensively, including the sig, and failed to
    specify which part thereof you comment on. Actually your comments
    don't seem to have any connection with my message, and you used the
    word "it" four times, all of which raise the question what is
    "it" this time. Please keep that style and your forged From field until
    your messages will be worth reading and commenting on. More hints:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

    Regarding 'justify', which you seem to be thoroughly confused with, see
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/justify.html

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 25, 2003
  5. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "Anonymous Joe" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Augustus" <> wrote:

    > >> All correctly behaving browsers will ignore the style sheet.
    > >>
    > >> If you're about to play some tricks, using spaces but trying to
    > >> make them look narrow or nonexistent, the word-spacing property
    > >> (for which negative values are allowed) might be a better deck of
    > >> cards.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    > >> Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html

    > > If you set the justification to 'justify' instead of the default
    > > 'left' then it should send it to it's own line after it gets too
    > > big.

    > You quoted my message comprehensively, including the sig, and failed to
    > specify which part thereof you comment on. Actually your comments
    > don't seem to have any connection with my message, and you used the
    > word "it" four times, all of which raise the question what is
    > "it" this time. Please keep that style and your forged From field until
    > your messages will be worth reading and commenting on. More hints:
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
    >
    > Regarding 'justify', which you seem to be thoroughly confused with, see
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/justify.html

    I am forever in your debt, for this it will be necessary to allow it to
    change it, etc it...

    Nah, I get what you mean, but you can be more polite about it, I mean you
    pretty much outright flamed me here...
    Anonymous Joe, Jun 25, 2003