Re: Some PyCon videos won't play

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Mar 13, 2010.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 3/13/2010 11:23 AM, Lee Harr wrote:

    > I am having a great time watching videos from PyCon. Thanks to
    > everyone who presented, and to those who did such a great job
    > putting the videos up at: http://pycon.blip.tv/
    >
    > My trouble is that, although most of the videos play perfectly,
    > there are a few that refuse to play at all. Like:
    >
    > Python 101
    > http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3322312/
    >
    > Using Python to Create Robotic Simulations for Planetary Exploration
    > http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3332780/
    >
    > Saturday Morning Lightning talks
    > http://pycon.blip.tv/file/3264041/
    >

    > Is anyone else having trouble with these?

    Yes, 'spinner' spins indefinitely, while others load and play.

    Terry Reedy, Mar 13, 2010

  2. Terry Reedy

    David Boddie Guest

    On Saturday 13 March 2010 20:01, Terry Reedy wrote:

    > On 3/13/2010 11:23 AM, Lee Harr wrote:
    >>
    >> I am having a great time watching videos from PyCon. Thanks to
    >> everyone who presented, and to those who did such a great job
    >> putting the videos up at: http://pycon.blip.tv/
    >>
    >> My trouble is that, although most of the videos play perfectly,
    >> there are a few that refuse to play at all. Like:

    [...]

    >> Is anyone else having trouble with these?

    > Yes, 'spinner' spins indefinitely, while others load and play.

    You should still be able to get at the videos themselves by inspecting
    the page contents, looking for download links like this one:

    http://blip.tv/file/get/Pycon-PyCon2010UsingPythonToCreateRoboticSimulationsForPlaneta894.ogv

    In this case, it's an Ogg Theora video file, so you may want to use
    a player like VLC to view it:

    http://www.videolan.org/

    David

    David Boddie, Mar 14, 2010

  3. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 3/14/2010 11:14 AM, David Boddie wrote:
    > On Saturday 13 March 2010 20:01, Terry Reedy wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/13/2010 11:23 AM, Lee Harr wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am having a great time watching videos from PyCon. Thanks to
    >>> everyone who presented, and to those who did such a great job
    >>> putting the videos up at: http://pycon.blip.tv/
    >>>
    >>> My trouble is that, although most of the videos play perfectly,
    >>> there are a few that refuse to play at all. Like:

    > [...]
    >
    >>> Is anyone else having trouble with these?

    >> Yes, 'spinner' spins indefinitely, while others load and play.

    > You should still be able to get at the videos themselves by inspecting
    > the page contents, looking for download links like this one:
    >
    > http://blip.tv/file/get/Pycon-PyCon2010UsingPythonToCreateRoboticSimulationsForPlaneta894.ogv
    >
    > In this case, it's an Ogg Theora video file, so you may want to use
    > a player like VLC to view it:

    For people using html5 competant browsers, which, I believe, play .ogv
    'in tha page', blip.tv just needs to update site to make html5 pages an
    alternative to using the flash player.

    Terry Reedy, Mar 14, 2010
  4. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 3/14/2010 2:41 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
    > On 3/14/2010 11:14 AM, David Boddie wrote:

    >> You should still be able to get at the videos themselves by inspecting
    >> the page contents, looking for download links like this one:
    >>
    >> http://blip.tv/file/get/Pycon-PyCon2010UsingPythonToCreateRoboticSimulationsForPlaneta894.ogv
    >>

    >> In this case, it's an Ogg Theora video file, so you may want to use
    >> a player like VLC to view it:

    > For people using html5 competant browsers, which, I believe, play .ogv
    > 'in tha page', blip.tv just needs to update site to make html5 pages an
    > alternative to using the flash player.

    Actually, for FF3.6, at least, the problem is already solved. I just
    click on the download button and FF recognizes .ogv as something it can
    play and it does, replacing the flash player. The FF player lacks a
    full-screen button, but that is rarely needed for the talks.

    tjr

    Terry Reedy, Mar 14, 2010