    "Brett" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I meant to say ASP.NET rather than ASP.

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP], Aug 17, 2004

  2. Thanks. If I use ASP within the .NET framework, is this ASP.NET?

    If ASP.NET is a framework, what is .NET? A shell of some sort for the
    various other frameworks? I don't understand that.

    Why isn't there a C#.NET? It seems strange to write C# within ASP.NET. Can
    this also be done in VB.NET other other .NETs?

    Where can I get more information on the above overviews? Obviously, I'm
    missing some important points.

    Thanks,
    Brett

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJldHQ=?=, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Brett" <> wrote in message

    > If I use ASP within the .NET framework, is this ASP.NET?

    No.

    > If ASP.NET is a framework, what is .NET? A shell of some sort for the
    > various other frameworks? I don't understand that.

    ASP.NET isn't a framework - it's a development tool for creating web sites
    and web applications which run within the .NET Framework.

    > Why isn't there a C#.NET?

    C# is C#.NET. There has never been any version of C# which was not designed
    for the .NET Framework...

    >It seems strange to write C# within ASP.NET.

    How is it any stranger than writing VBScript in ASP classic...?

    >Can this also be done in VB.NET

    Yes

    >other other .NETs?

    Yes - e.g. J#.NET etc

    > Where can I get more information on the above overviews? Obviously, I'm
    > missing some important points.

    I'd suggest you get hold of any basic introduction to Visual Studio.NET...

    Mark Rae, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

    Shawn South Guest

    Brett wrote:

    > Thanks. If I use ASP within the .NET framework, is this ASP.NET?

    ASP.NET is it's own entity. If you are using [classic] ASP, you are not
    using .NET. You cannot "use [classic] ASP" in .NET.

    The important thing to understand, IMO, is that [classic] ASP is not,
    and never was, a language. Most [classic] ASP was written in VBScript
    (which *is* a language) and that has created a lot of confusion. But
    even with [classic] ASP, one was not restricted to VBScript. [Classic]
    ASP pages could be written in JScript (Microsoft's Javascript) or even
    Perlscript.

    [Classic] ASP is a server-side framework. It executes the code,
    regardless of what language it's written in, and returns the results
    back to the web server so that it can eventually be returned to the
    client (web browser).

    > If ASP.NET is a framework, what is .NET? A shell of some sort for the
    > various other frameworks? I don't understand that.

    ..NET is the master/primary framework. ASP.NET is a sub-category within
    the .NET framework, as is ADO.NET.

    > Why isn't there a C#.NET? It seems strange to write C# within ASP.NET. Can
    > this also be done in VB.NET other other .NETs?

    I don't work for Microsoft and am not privy to exactly what went into
    the decision, but I would expect they don't call it C#.NET because there
    was no previous C# language to confuse the new .NET version with.

    It's not strange at all once you recognize that ASP and ASP.NET are not
    languages. You can write ASP.NET code in any .NET language: C#,
    VB.NET, COBOL.NET, etc.

    - Shawn

    Shawn South, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Shawn South" <> wrote in message

    > You cannot "use [classic] ASP" in .NET.

    Of course you can.

    Mark Rae, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

    Shawn South Guest

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > "Shawn South" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>You cannot "use [classic] ASP" in .NET.

    > Of course you can.

    Please qualify your claim. How would one use classic ASP in .NET?

    - Shawn

    Shawn South, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

    > Please qualify your claim. How would one use classic ASP in .NET?

    Simply drop them into your ASP.NET project. Or, if you like, create a new C#
    ASP.NET project, and then add a new form called debug.asp with the following
    code:

    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%
    Response.Expires = 0
    Response.AddHeader "Cache-Control","Private"
    Response.CacheControl = "No-Cache"
    Response.AddHeader "Pragma","No-Cache"
    Response.ExpiresAbsolute = Now() - 1
    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---
    Sub ServerVariables
    Dim objVariable

    On Error Resume Next

    For Each objVariable In Request.ServerVariables
    Response.Write("<tr>")
    Response.Write("<td>" & objVariable & "</td>")
    Response.Write("<td>" & Request.ServerVariables(objVariable) & "&nbsp;" &
    "</td>")
    Response.Write("</tr>")
    Next

    End Sub
    '---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---
    %>

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">
    </HEAD>

    <BODY>

    <TABLE WIDTH=100% BORDER=1 id=tblVariables CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=2>
    <TR BGCOLOR=#cccccc BORDER=0>
    <th nowrap width="20%">Variable</th>
    <th nowrap width="80%">Value</th>
    </TR>
    <%ServerVariables%>

    </BODY>

    </HTML>

    Mark Rae, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

    Shawn South Guest

    Understanding the ASP/ASP.NET relationship (was: Sorry, meant ASP.NET)

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > "Shawn South" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Please qualify your claim. How would one use classic ASP in .NET?

    > Simply drop them into your ASP.NET project.

    [...snip...]

    > add a new form called debug.asp with the following code:

    [...snip...]

    Files with the extension .asp are (by default) interpreted by asp.dll,
    not the .NET framework. The file may be in your project, but it is not
    being handled by the ASP.NET subsystem of the .NET framework.

    I suppose you *could* change the default settings for IIS and have .asp
    files be handled by aspnet_isapi.dll, but then all your objects would be
    references to .NET objects (Response, etc.) Then you wouldn't be
    running classic ASP - you'd be running ASP.NET in a filename with a .asp
    extension.

    This is part of the confusion many people have. ASP and ASP.NET are not
    languages. They are not the files themselves. They are server-side
    interpreter framework subsystems. You can use one *or* the other, you
    cannot do one "in" the other.

    - Shawn

    Shawn South, Aug 18, 2004