Re: Spamming PyPI with stupid packages

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ethan Furman, Jan 3, 2012.

  1. Ethan Furman

    Ethan Furman Guest

    Peter Otten wrote:
    > Lie Ryan wrote:

    >>> The thought police has won :(

    >> I think the community has a right to defend themselves against trolls.
    >> If it's just bad naming, we can probably just laugh it off; but when a
    >> failed joke spans a half dozen module and just opens a browser to his
    >> website, there is no value for it to stay at PyPI. Additionally, it may
    >> fuel copycats: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/kimwoohyeon1/1.3.0 (do anyone
    >> have any idea who submitted that one?)

    > I think it's a judgment call.
    >
    > "maybe policing uploads is worse than cluttering PyPI's disk space and RSS
    > feed with dumb 1 KB packages." (Matt Chaput)
    >
    > I'd drop the "maybe".

    It's hard enough finding what one wants without having to wade through
    crap. PyPI is not the place for it.

    ~Ethan~
    Ethan Furman, Jan 3, 2012

  2. On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 05:08:47 -0800, Ethan Furman wrote:

    [...]
    >> "maybe policing uploads is worse than cluttering PyPI's disk space and
    >> RSS feed with dumb 1 KB packages." (Matt Chaput)
    >>
    >> I'd drop the "maybe".

    > It's hard enough finding what one wants without having to wade through
    > crap. PyPI is not the place for it.

    I agree. But who gets to choose which packages are "serious" enough to
    deserve to be on PyPI? Or good enough?

    The cost of allowing anyone the freedom to publish their work is that
    some published work will be crap.

    Besides, I find it hard to believe that the search facilities on PyPI are
    so bad that there would be any searches that come up with "girlfriend.py"
    or "car.py" as false positives.

    Seriously, the over-reaction here is something that has to be seen to be
    believed. The original complaint is over a couple of entries in an RSS
    feed and showing up on the front page of PyPI, perhaps a dozen words in
    total. The reaction has been thousands of words arguing back and forth.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Jan 4, 2012

  3. Ethan Furman

    PiLS Guest

    Le mar, 03 jan 2012 20:28:59, Steven D'Aprano a ploppé:
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 05:08:47 -0800, Ethan Furman wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >>> "maybe policing uploads is worse than cluttering PyPI's disk space and
    >>> RSS feed with dumb 1 KB packages." (Matt Chaput)
    >>>
    >>> I'd drop the "maybe".

    >> It's hard enough finding what one wants without having to wade through
    >> crap. PyPI is not the place for it.

    > I agree. But who gets to choose which packages are "serious" enough to
    > deserve to be on PyPI? Or good enough?
    >
    > The cost of allowing anyone the freedom to publish their work is that
    > some published work will be crap.
    >
    > Besides, I find it hard to believe that the search facilities on PyPI are
    > so bad that there would be any searches that come up with "girlfriend.py"
    > or "car.py" as false positives.
    >
    > Seriously, the over-reaction here is something that has to be seen to be
    > believed. The original complaint is over a couple of entries in an RSS
    > feed and showing up on the front page of PyPI, perhaps a dozen words in
    > total. The reaction has been thousands of words arguing back and forth.

    +1

    The "it objectifies wymyn" argument (back and forth) was particularly
    funny (in a insignificant nonsensical hollier-than-thou nitpicking way).
    I really was on the verge of pushing the plonk button a couple times
    (between spurts of uncontrollable laughter).
    If anything, I see the joke as derogatory to Python programmers; sadly,
    this very thread proves this view. Also, I find it disturbing that the
    wymyn-power knights in shiny armour identify a python module with
    a woman. If I nuke a Karmic Koala, will they rat me out to the WWF, to
    the UNODA, or to both?

    --
    PiLS
    PiLS, Jan 4, 2012
  4. On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:48 AM, PiLS <> wrote:
    > If I nuke a Karmic Koala, will they rat me out to the WWF, to
    > the UNODA, or to both?

    Neither, actually. We'll be so glad you didn't call it a Karmic Koala
    Bear that we'll send you three American tourists for free. (They're
    actually quite delicious when properly prepared.)

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Jan 4, 2012
  5. Ethan Furman

    HoneyMonster Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 20:48:36 +0000, PiLS wrote:

    > If I nuke a Karmic Koala, will they rat me out to the WWF, to the
    > UNODA, or to both?

    Personally I'd be cheering for you, provided you also took out all the
    warthogs, hedgehogs, badgers, drakes, efts, fawns, gibbons, herons,
    ibexes, jackalopes, lynxes, meerkats, narwhals, ocelots and pangolins.
    HoneyMonster, Jan 4, 2012
  6. Ethan Furman

    xDog Walker Guest

    On Tuesday 2012 January 03 17:28, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > Besides, I find it hard to believe that the search facilities on PyPI are
    > so bad that there would be any searches that come up with "girlfriend.py"
    > or "car.py" as false positives.

    Try an author search for D'Aprano.

    --
    I have seen the future and I am not in it.
    xDog Walker, Jan 4, 2012