Re: speech recognition help

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Chase, Mar 21, 2009.

  1. Tim Chase

    Tim Chase Guest

    > do u know which one
    > 1. cmu sphinx
    > 2. natural speaking
    > 3. windows sapi
    >
    > is best ( in accuray and speed ) for predefined vocabulary.. and worth for
    > learning as well.?

    For a pre-defined vocabulary, they should all be pretty good. In
    general (for non-predefined vocabularies), I've heard that NS
    beats both Sphinx and SAPI in terms of recognition quality. I
    haven't seen any comparisons between Sphinx and SAPI.

    Other considerations may also come into play:

    - do you expect all your users to have a copy of NS? Then you
    might have to look into something other than NS if they won't.
    Or perhaps NS has a developers' toolkit that allows for
    redistribution when built into your app.

    - do you expect all your users to run Windows (as I type this
    from my Linux box...)? If not, then SAPI won't be available to
    your Mac/Linux/BSD/BeOS/Amiga/whatever users.

    - do you need TTS (text-to-speech) capabilities as well? SAPI
    includes them. (there are other TTS libraries available such as
    mbrola/festival that are available for this if needed)

    - how easy is it to bind to Python? Sphinx has Python bindings
    detailed on the website. I can't speak for NS or SAPI.

    - how much time/money do you have to invest? Sphinx is
    open-source and free. SAPI is free-ish for developers, but I
    don't know if Microsoft incurs a licensing cost for distributed
    apps or other redistribution restrictions. I can't speak for
    NS-for-developers.

    Just a few thoughts,

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Mar 21, 2009