Re: Spell Checker

Discussion in 'Python' started by Martin Franklin, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. Martin Franklin, Aug 9, 2003

  2. Martin Franklin

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Jarek Zgoda, Aug 9, 2003

  3. Jarek Zgoda wrote:

    >>http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyspelling/
    >>

    >This one doesn't have too much to offer... According to SF: "this
    >project did not release any files" and its state is "pre-alpha".

    Yup. I suspended work on it when it became obvious that it would be
    months and months (years, maybe) before Chandler actually needed a
    spell-check engine. The engine is fully functional (I use it to lookup
    words I don't know how to spell all the time), but the focus of the
    project is on having a *toolkit* from which to build spell-checking
    services into applications, rather than having a particular
    spell-checking service.

    In particular, it focusses on making it possible to use large numbers of
    potentially dynamic word-sets. The idea behind that being to allow IDE
    (or Chandler) developers to construct per-document/document fragment,
    and per-project/library/programming-langauge/user grammars and use them
    all through the same query interface, swapping in grammars as
    appropriate for any given lookup. The engine can store the grammars
    on-disk (2 or 3 formats), or in-memory, or you can provide your own
    storage mechanism.

    At the moment the project has a fairly good phonetic compression
    algorithm (~= to the aspell one at the time, (constructed by reading the
    Aspell documention), and producing fairly similar results), and can do
    queries across "normal"-sized on-disk grammars fairly quickly (the
    in-memory ones are extremely fast of course), though the 3/4 million
    word grammars can be noticably slow. It can read the grammar lists from
    Aspell dictionaries, btw.

    If what you're looking for is an out-of-the-box spell checker, you'll
    probably want to look at one of the aspell/ispell wrappers (e.g.
    snakespell). They are designed for looking up words in fairly static
    (compiled) word-sets, and for simple "is this similar to any
    English/French/German word" queries it's the easiest thing to manage.
    The Python Spelling Construction Set really is a construction set, not a
    packaged service. That said, I should probably just run setup.py sdist
    bdist_wininst so that people can check it out without needing a CVS
    checkout.

    Enjoy,
    Mike

    Mike C. Fletcher