Re: SSH Connection with Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gelonida N, Oct 27, 2012.

  1. Gelonida N

    Gelonida N Guest

    On 10/25/2012 12:47 PM, Kamlesh Mutha wrote:
    > You can use paramiko module. Very easy to use.

    I also use paramiko for a small script.

    However I'm a little hesitant to use paramik for new code.

    The web page says: "last updated 21-May-2011"

    and the github url http://github.com/robey/paramiko/
    yields me a 404

    However I didn't really find any alternative.
    For cross platform scripts (Linux / windows)
    subprocess is not such a good alternative.

    Another problem is, that paramiko depends on pycrypto 2.1+
    which doesn't exist as binary release for python 2.7

    Is fabric capable of performing scp / sftp

    Is there any other library as alternative?
    Gelonida N, Oct 27, 2012

  2. Gelonida N

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    Gelonida N <> wrote:

    > Another problem is, that paramiko depends on pycrypto 2.1+
    > which doesn't exist as binary release for python 2.7

    I'm running paramiko-1.7.6 with python 2.7.3 on my Ubunto Precise box.
    I'm reasonably sure all I did was "pip install paramiko".

    On the other hand, it may have built it from source during the install.
    Generally, I just let pip do it's magic and don't worry about the
    details. If you're in an environment where you don't have the compiler
    tool chain, you may be more constrained.

    > Is fabric capable of performing scp / sftp

    Fabric uses ssh to make connections, and it is capable of copying files.
    For all intents and purposes, I'd say that means it is capable of
    "performing scp / sftp" (both of which are just front-ends to the same
    basic ssh protocol.

    But, keep in mind that fabric depends on paramiko. If you can't get
    paramiko installed, you probably can't get fabric either.
    Roy Smith, Oct 27, 2012

  3. Gelonida N

    Gelonida N Guest

    On 10/27/2012 02:21 AM, Roy Smith wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Gelonida N <> wrote:
    >
    >> Another problem is, that paramiko depends on pycrypto 2.1+
    >> which doesn't exist as binary release for python 2.7

    > I'm running paramiko-1.7.6 with python 2.7.3 on my Ubunto Precise box.
    > I'm reasonably sure all I did was "pip install paramiko".

    Apologies. I failed to mention, that I was talking about Windows not Linux.

    I use Python for applications, that should work under Linux and under
    Windows.

    > But, keep in mind that fabric depends on paramiko. If you can't get
    > paramiko installed, you probably can't get fabric either.

    Thanks, that's good to know, so I don't have to bother looking at farbic
    (at least not as solution on windows python 2.7 without having to try to
    recompile pycrypto myself)
    Gelonida N, Oct 27, 2012