Re: SSH Connection with Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gelonida N, Oct 28, 2012.

  1. Gelonida N

    Gelonida N Guest

    On 10/28/2012 02:35 AM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
    > On 27Oct2012 14:18, Gelonida N <> wrote:
    > | On 10/27/2012 02:21 AM, Roy Smith wrote:

    > | > I'm running paramiko-1.7.6 with python 2.7.3 on my Ubunto Precise box.
    > | > I'm reasonably sure all I did was "pip install paramiko".
    > |
    > | Apologies. I failed to mention, that I was talking about Windows not Linux.
    > |
    > | I use Python for applications, that should work under Linux and under
    > | Windows.
    > |
    > | > But, keep in mind that fabric depends on paramiko. If you can't get
    > | > paramiko installed, you probably can't get fabric either.
    > | >
    > | Thanks, that's good to know, so I don't have to bother looking at farbic
    > | (at least not as solution on windows python 2.7 without having to try to
    > | recompile pycrypto myself)
    >
    > Many years ago we ran an ssh executable on Windows; it was a tiny
    > standalone kit consisting, IIRC, of the Cygwin libc and ssh. Or you
    > could just install Cygwin...
    >
    > That would let you use Python's subprocess module to invoke ssh and
    > dispatch your command.

    On all my work PCs cygwin is installed.

    However when packaging something with py2exe I'd really prefer to not
    have to install additional .exe / .dll files just for the ssh client.
    This is why I like the idea of Paramiko. which requires the crypto .dll,
    but that's it.

    The only thing I'm concerned about paramiko is, that I don't see any
    activity on the paramiko site and that one library it depends on is not
    available is windows binary package for newer versions of python.

    For the time being I stick with paramiko as I'm still on py2.6, but I
    wanted to have some feedback, whether this path can easily be followed
    in the mid term future or whther I ahd to fall back to a minimalist set
    of ssh executables / dlls and a subprocess wrapper.

    Gelonida N, Oct 28, 2012