Re: ssl: add msg_callback

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Rebert, Jul 26, 2012.

  1. Chris Rebert

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Thiébaud Weksteen <>
    wrote:

    > Hi python-list,
    >
    > I wrote a patch for Python 3.2.3 to expose the function
    > SSL_CTX_set_msg_callback in the module _ssl.
    >
    > I was actually surprise this function was not already in the
    > standard library as it is really handy:

    Well, the underscore in the module name indicates that such modules
    are private implementation details, hence why _ssl is undocumented.

    > "SSL_CTX_set_msg_callback() or SSL_set_msg_callback() can be used
    > to define a message callback function cb for observing all SSL/TLS
    > protocol messages (such as handshake messages) that are received or sent."
    >
    > Here is the patch:
    >
    > https://github.com/tweksteen/abrupt-usecase/blob/master/python-ssl-3.2.3.patch
    >
    > Let me know your opinion on that. Does it worth being included?

    python-dev would probably be the best place to ask, since they have
    the ultimate say on whether to accept your patch:
    and/or you can file a bug in the tracker with your patch attached:
    http://bugs.python.org/

    On the face of it, the feature sounds fairly useful for debugging.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    Chris Rebert, Jul 26, 2012