Re: SSL handshake hanging, despite bugfix in stdlib

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Jun 24, 2012.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 6/23/2012 1:29 PM, Michael Gundlach wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > http://bugs.python.org/issue5103 fixed a bug in Python2.6 where SSL's

    I believe the fix first appeared in 2.6.6.

    > handshake would hang indefinitely if the remote end hangs.
    >
    > However, I'm getting hanging behavior in an IMAP script. When I Ctrl-C
    > it after hours of hanging, I get the same stacktrace as reported in
    > http://bugs.python.org/issue1251#msg72363 , though Antoine said that
    > r80452 fixed issue 5103 as well as this bug.

    He claimed that it should fix 1251, but I cannot see that there was a
    dependable code for making the problem appear.

    > (This behavior started only in the last couple of weeks after a longer
    > period working correctly, so I suspect something changed on GMail's end
    > to trigger the bug.)

    Possible.

    > Am I do something wrong, or is this bug still not fixed? Any pointers
    > would be appreciated. Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Dec 7 2011, 20:48:22)
    > on 64-bit Linux 2.6.32.
    > Michael

    If you want any attention from developers, you will have to show a
    problem with 2.7.3 or latest 3.2+. I do not know that there is much
    change in 2.7, but I know there is more in change in 3.3 (the
    do_handshake call is moved and has a different context.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Jun 24, 2012