Re: Staying Connected to a POP3/SMTP Server

Discussion in 'Python' started by Irmen de Jong, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Amos Joshua wrote:
    > Would any Bad Things happen if I stayed connected to a POP3 and an
    > SMTP server for say, an hour, while checking for new emails say, every
    > ten seconds, and sending some at small intervals like that too?

    If it is your own mail server, I think not.
    If it is the mail server of your ISP, I think they won't be happy.
    Checking for mail that often is a substantial load on the machine,
    compared to 'normal use'.

    I'm not sure, but the POP3 server may erminate the connection
    if you keep it open for <specific interval> minutes...?
    As a safeguard for people hogging server resources...

    --Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Jun 25, 2003