Re: Staying Connected to a POP3/SMTP Server

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peter Hansen, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Peter Hansen

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Amos Joshua wrote:

    > Would any Bad Things happen if I stayed connected to a POP3 and an
    > SMTP server for say, an hour, while checking for new emails say, every
    > ten seconds, and sending some at small intervals like that too?

    Isn't it the case that POP3 servers basically "lock" the mailbox when
    you authenticate yourself, such that you would never see these new
    messages that might possibly be arriving? If that's so, it wouldn't
    be "bad" except in the sense that it would do nothing useful, and
    would prevent any subsequent login attempts from succeeding on that
    mailbox until you disconnected.

    With SMTP you could, however, stay connected as long as the server
    lets you, sending messages only when you feel like it. Given how fast
    the typical SMTP server accepts connections, however, you likely
    shouldn't need/want to do that.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Peter Hansen