    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ
    Al Balmer, Jul 28, 2006

  2. Al Balmer

    Ian Collins Guest

    Re: STOP what =?windows-1252?Q?you=92re_doing_-_It_doesn?==?windows-1252?Q?=92t_work!_934U?=

    Al Balmer wrote:
    > The subject of this post is excellent advice to the poster.

    Again, please don't reply to spam that news server can filter out.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Jul 29, 2006

  3. Al Balmer

    Al Balmer Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:26:23 +1200, Ian Collins <>
    wrote:

    >Al Balmer wrote:
    >> The subject of this post is excellent advice to the poster.
    >>

    >Again, please don't reply to spam that news server can filter out.

    I wasn't replying to the spam, nor did I even leave the information
    needed for someone else to reply. I was making a smart-ass remark to
    the group, just as you are.

    (Incidentally, the news server did *not* filter it out, did it?)

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ
    Al Balmer, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Al Balmer

    Al Balmer wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:26:23 +1200, Ian Collins <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Al Balmer wrote:
    >>
    >>>The subject of this post is excellent advice to the poster.
    >>>

    >>Again, please don't reply to spam that news server can filter out.

    > I wasn't replying to the spam, nor did I even leave the information
    > needed for someone else to reply. I was making a smart-ass remark to
    > the group, just as you are.
    >
    > (Incidentally, the news server did *not* filter it out, did it?)

    Mine did.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Jul 29, 2006
  5. Al Balmer

    Joe Wright Guest

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Al Balmer wrote:
    >> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:26:23 +1200, Ian Collins <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Again, please don't reply to spam that news server can filter out.

    >> I wasn't replying to the spam, nor did I even leave the information
    >> needed for someone else to reply. I was making a smart-ass remark to
    >> the group, just as you are.
    >>
    >> (Incidentally, the news server did *not* filter it out, did it?)
    >>

    > Mine did.

    Mine too. Al's response was the first I knew about it.

    --
    Joe Wright
    --- Albert Einstein ---
    Joe Wright, Jul 29, 2006
  6. Al Balmer

    Al Balmer Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:42:33 +1200, Ian Collins <>
    wrote:

    >Al Balmer wrote:
    >> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:26:23 +1200, Ian Collins <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Again, please don't reply to spam that news server can filter out.

    >> I wasn't replying to the spam, nor did I even leave the information
    >> needed for someone else to reply. I was making a smart-ass remark to
    >> the group, just as you are.
    >>
    >> (Incidentally, the news server did *not* filter it out, did it?)
    >>

    >Mine did.

    Then how did you know it was spam? Strictly a guess from the subject
    line? The same reason everybody else has already killed this thread ?
    <g>.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ
    Al Balmer, Jul 31, 2006
  7. Al Balmer

    Al Balmer Guest

    Re: [OT] STOP what you’re doing - It doesn’t work! 934U

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:45:10 -0400, Joe Wright
    <> wrote:

    >>> (Incidentally, the news server did *not* filter it out, did it?)
    >>>

    >> Mine did.
    >>

    >Mine too. Al's response was the first I knew about it.

    As long as we're off-topic anyway, I wonder how they do that. Do they
    delete everything coming from ntli.net? There wasn't anything in the
    body that would justify a news server deleting it. An individual
    Bayesian filter, certainly, but that's too broad for a news server. My
    guess is that ntli is on a blacklist.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ
    Al Balmer, Jul 31, 2006
  8. Al Balmer

    Ian Collins Guest

    Re: [OT] STOP what =?windows-1252?Q?you=92re_doing_-_It_?==?windows-1252?Q?doesn=92t_work!_934U?=

    Al Balmer wrote:

    >>>Mine did.
    >>>

    >>Mine too. Al's response was the first I knew about it.

    > As long as we're off-topic anyway, I wonder how they do that. Do they
    > delete everything coming from ntli.net? There wasn't anything in the
    > body that would justify a news server deleting it. An individual
    > Bayesian filter, certainly, but that's too broad for a news server. My
    > guess is that ntli is on a blacklist.

    news.individual.net and a couple of other serves I have used have a
    limit to the number of cross-posted groups, anything over that is
    considered as spam. My guess is this one fell into that trap.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Jul 31, 2006
  9. Al Balmer

    Guest

    Re: STOP what you're doing - It doesn't work! 934U

    Al Balmer wrote:

    > The subject of this post is excellent advice to the poster.

    He said "stop what you're doing."
    "Get down upon your knees."
    "I've got a message for you that you better believe."

    Chorus: Believe, believe...
    , Jul 31, 2006
  10. Re: STOP what you're doing - It doesn't work! 934U

    said:

    > Al Balmer wrote:
    >
    >> The subject of this post is excellent advice to the poster.

    > He said "stop what you're doing."
    > "Get down upon your knees."
    > "I've got a message for you that you better believe."
    >
    > Chorus: Believe, believe...

    Stop what you're doing, get down on your knees
    I've got a message for you that you better believe
    You've messed up your life, you're doing it wrong
    You've been voiding main for far too long

    Believe, believe, it's time to do it right
    Believe, believe, come on and see the light.
    Your code really blows, and it really shows,
    I can see the little demons coming out of your nose

    You've been flushing stdin and calling gets
    Casting malloc with no regrets
    You make everything global and you don't care
    Cos you can always find an object and you always know where

    Believe, believe, it's time to do it right
    Believe, believe, come on and see the light.
    Your code really blows, and it really shows,
    I can see the little demons coming out of your nose

    But there's more to life than Windows, and there'll come a day
    When you have to port your code to a SuperCray
    Or a Mini Mac or Mainframe or a DSP
    And you'll be facing judgement for your lousy C
    Believe, believe...

    (guitar break)

    Believe, believe, it's time to do it right
    Believe, believe, come on and see the light.
    Your code really blows, and it really shows,
    I can see the little demons coming out of your nose

    It's not just your reputation, it's your job on the line
    So don't you think you should start reading Iso 9899?
    Believe, believe, it's time to do it right
    Believe, believe, come on and see the light...
    (repeat to fade)

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    Richard Heathfield, Jul 31, 2006
  11. Al Balmer

    Al Balmer Guest

    Re: [OT] STOP what you’re doing - It doesn’t work! 934U

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:13:24 +1200, Ian Collins <>
    wrote:

    >Al Balmer wrote:

    >>>Mine too. Al's response was the first I knew about it.

    >> As long as we're off-topic anyway, I wonder how they do that. Do they
    >> delete everything coming from ntli.net? There wasn't anything in the
    >> body that would justify a news server deleting it. An individual
    >> Bayesian filter, certainly, but that's too broad for a news server. My
    >> guess is that ntli is on a blacklist.
    >>

    >news.individual.net and a couple of other serves I have used have a
    >limit to the number of cross-posted groups, anything over that is
    >considered as spam. My guess is this one fell into that trap.

    Indeed a reasonable guess, but the one I saw was posted only to
    comp.lang.c. Since then, I've seen it on other NGs, but not
    cross-posted.

    That does remind me - I need to get Newsproxy installed again. I lost
    it on the last computer "upgrade." Agent can't filter on number of
    crossposts without help.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ
    Al Balmer, Jul 31, 2006
  12. Al Balmer

    Default User Guest

    Al Balmer wrote:

    > Then how did you know it was spam? Strictly a guess from the subject
    > line? The same reason everybody else has already killed this thread ?
    > <g>.

    It was pretty obvious from the subject line, the "934U" is a typical
    spam-filter-dodging trick. Didn't work, NIN got it anyway.

    Brian
    Default User, Jul 31, 2006