Re: Strange onchange behavior

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Neredbojias, Jan 29, 2009.

  1. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 29 Jan 2009, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

    > In many places I have something like:
    >
    > <select id="foo" name="foo"
    > onchange="AJAX('routine.php?id=' + this.value)">
    > <option value="1">tic</option>
    > <option value="2">toc</option>
    > </select>
    >
    > I use Firebug in my development and always, in the past, when I
    > change the option selected I see the command appear in the Console
    > tab of Firebug and the action occurs. (AJAX is a javascript utility
    > I put together to do all the AJAX stuff).
    >
    > Today, on one page that I was working on, nothing happened when I did
    > an option change. Also, nothing appeared in the console tab. Things
    > work on other pages so it is not the browser having javascript turned
    > off. I looked at the element in the view source and in the Inspect
    > of Firebug and both show the type of code above.
    >
    > Has anyone ever come across a situation where changing the selection
    > in a list having an onchange action doesn't do anything?

    Sounds like a j/s error somewhere in the page.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Jan 29, 2009

  2. Neredbojias

    rf Guest

    sheldonlg wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> On 29 Jan 2009, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In many places I have something like:
    >>>
    >>> <select id="foo" name="foo"
    >>> onchange="AJAX('routine.php?id=' + this.value)">
    >>> <option value="1">tic</option>
    >>> <option value="2">toc</option>
    >>> </select>
    >>>
    >>> I use Firebug in my development and always, in the past, when I
    >>> change the option selected I see the command appear in the Console
    >>> tab of Firebug and the action occurs. (AJAX is a javascript utility
    >>> I put together to do all the AJAX stuff).
    >>>
    >>> Today, on one page that I was working on, nothing happened when I
    >>> did an option change. Also, nothing appeared in the console tab. Things
    >>> work on other pages so it is not the browser having
    >>> javascript turned off. I looked at the element in the view source
    >>> and in the Inspect of Firebug and both show the type of code above.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone ever come across a situation where changing the selection
    >>> in a list having an onchange action doesn't do anything?

    >> Sounds like a j/s error somewhere in the page.

    > I hear you, and I thought that too. However, the only javascript on
    > any of the pages is via included files and these are common to all
    > pages.

    Then validate the HTML on that page.

    rf, Jan 30, 2009

  3. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 29 Jan 2009, sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

    >>> <select id="foo" name="foo"
    >>> onchange="AJAX('routine.php?id=' + this.value)">
    >>> <option value="1">tic</option>
    >>> <option value="2">toc</option>
    >>> </select>
    >>>
    >>> I use Firebug in my development and always, in the past, when I
    >>> change the option selected I see the command appear in the Console
    >>> tab of Firebug and the action occurs. (AJAX is a javascript
    >>> utility I put together to do all the AJAX stuff).
    >>>
    >>> Today, on one page that I was working on, nothing happened when I
    >>> did an option change. Also, nothing appeared in the console tab.
    >>> Things work on other pages so it is not the browser having
    >>> javascript turned off. I looked at the element in the view source
    >>> and in the Inspect of Firebug and both show the type of code above.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone ever come across a situation where changing the
    >>> selection in a list having an onchange action doesn't do anything?

    >> Sounds like a j/s error somewhere in the page.

    > I hear you, and I thought that too. However, the only javascript on
    > any of the pages is via included files and these are common to all
    > pages.

    Do you have all the ids, classes, and any other necessary references to
    which the j/s refers?

    Neredbojias, Jan 31, 2009