Re: Strange onchange behavior

Discussion in 'HTML' started by The Natural Philosopher, Jan 30, 2009.

  1. sheldonlg wrote:
    > In many places I have something like:
    >
    > <select id="foo" name="foo"
    > onchange="AJAX('routine.php?id=' + this.value)">
    > <option value="1">tic</option>
    > <option value="2">toc</option>
    > </select>
    >
    > I use Firebug in my development and always, in the past, when I change
    > the option selected I see the command appear in the Console tab of
    > Firebug and the action occurs. (AJAX is a javascript utility I put
    > together to do all the AJAX stuff).
    >
    > Today, on one page that I was working on, nothing happened when I did an
    > option change. Also, nothing appeared in the console tab. Things work
    > on other pages so it is not the browser having javascript turned off. I
    > looked at the element in the view source and in the Inspect of Firebug
    > and both show the type of code above.
    >
    > Has anyone ever come across a situation where changing the selection in
    > a list having an onchange action doesn't do anything?

    Yes, and significant difference between firefox and IE7.

    IIRC the onchange applied to the select in one browser, and the option
    in another or something.

    IIRC I ended up using onclicks in the option element, and figuring the
    rest out on 'software' for reliability..

    The Natural Philosopher, Jan 30, 2009

  2. sheldonlg wrote:
    > kangax wrote:
    >> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> IIRC I ended up using onclicks in the option element, and figuring
    >>> the rest out on 'software' for reliability..

    >> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't it?
    >>

    > I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

    Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

    The Natural Philosopher, Jan 30, 2009

  3. The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > sheldonlg wrote:
    >> kangax wrote:
    >>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't it?
    >>>

    >> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

    > Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

    Yes, especially with forms

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 30, 2009
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <>
    writing in news::

    > sheldonlg wrote:
    >> kangax wrote:
    >>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't

    it?

    >> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

    > Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

    As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
    anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and that
    becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
    pointing device, like an older phone. So the answer is, yes, there are
    still a lot of people who use keyboard navigation.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 30, 2009
  5. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <>
    > writing in news::
    >
    >> sheldonlg wrote:

    > it?
    >>> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

    >> Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?
    >>

    > As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
    > anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and that
    > becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
    > pointing device, like an older phone.

    Ah, so you find pulse dial phones useful in navigating web sites do you?

    Even year, I have tone dial phones...

    So the answer is, yes, there are
    > still a lot of people who use keyboard navigation.

    Let me tell you there are alaos a lot of peope who use old type phones
    as well.

    Ones that wouln't known an internet if it pissed all over them

    What planet ARE you on?

    The Natural Philosopher, Jan 30, 2009
  6. On 2009-01-30, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > sheldonlg wrote:
    >> kangax wrote:
    >>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't it?
    >>>

    >> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

    > Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

    Yes. Not often, but there are times when it is faster than reaching
    for the mouse.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jan 30, 2009
  7. The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <>
    >> writing in news::

    >> As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
    >> anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and
    >> that becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
    >> pointing device, like an older phone.

    > Ah, so you find pulse dial phones useful in navigating web sites do you?

    Not really accurate analogy, a mouse did not *replace* a keyboard. If
    you hands are already on the keyboard keys is can be more expedient to
    hit another key than reach for the mouse. Also for me, if I am stuck
    with a laptop with that blinking touch pad the keyboard is my savior!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 30, 2009
  8. The Natural Philosopher

    Bergamot Guest

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > sheldonlg wrote:
    >> kangax wrote:
    >>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't it?
    >>>

    >> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

    > Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

    I do! I do!

    I have poor coordination with pointing devices so can do things much,
    much faster using the keyboard. I utilize browser features like
    type-ahead-find and tabbing to get almost anywhere in a page pretty quickly.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 30, 2009
  9. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <>
    writing in news::

    >> As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
    >> anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and
    >> that becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
    >> pointing device, like an older phone.

    > Ah, so you find pulse dial phones useful in navigating web sites do
    > you?

    I'm sorry. I was referring to older cell phones with Internet, not the
    newer touchscreen cell phones. I was not referring to land line phones.

    > Even year, I have tone dial phones...
    >

    > So the answer is, yes, there are
    >> still a lot of people who use keyboard navigation.
    >>

    > Let me tell you there are alaos a lot of peope who use old type phones
    > as well.

    Yes, my boss has an old rotary phone and guess what, it still works
    because the service provider still recognizes pulse dialing. We don't
    use it for dialing out, only for incoming calls, but it's nice to know
    that it still works.

    > Ones that wouln't known an internet if it pissed all over them

    Just because one has antiques does not mean one doesn't know what an
    Internet is - one does not have to be pissed on.

    > What planet ARE you on?

    I happen to be on the planet Earth, in the United States, in California,
    the County of Los Angeles, in Glendale.

    My computer is sitting on top of the desk that belonged to my great-
    grandfather, Monroe Alpheus Majors, who used this desk to write the book
    "Noted Negro Women". He also corresponded with Frederick Douglas and
    was a good friend of Booker T. Washington.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 30, 2009
  10. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <>
    > writing in news::
    >
    >>> As Jonothan said, especially with forms, but I use the keyboard a lot
    >>> anyway. A lot of times I find it easier to tab through a page, and
    >>> that becomes even more important when using a ua that does not have a
    >>> pointing device, like an older phone.

    >> Ah, so you find pulse dial phones useful in navigating web sites do
    >> you?

    > I'm sorry. I was referring to older cell phones with Internet, not the
    > newer touchscreen cell phones. I was not referring to land line phones.

    Well my 'cell phone' doesn't do Internet at all.

    The whole point of 'going out' is to get AWAY from internet ;-)

    >> Even year, I have tone dial phones...
    >>

    >> So the answer is, yes, there are
    >>> still a lot of people who use keyboard navigation.
    >>>

    >> Let me tell you there are alaos a lot of peope who use old type phones
    >> as well.

    > Yes, my boss has an old rotary phone and guess what, it still works
    > because the service provider still recognizes pulse dialing. We don't
    > use it for dialing out, only for incoming calls, but it's nice to know
    > that it still works.
    >
    >> Ones that wouln't known an internet if it pissed all over them

    > Just because one has antiques does not mean one doesn't know what an
    > Internet is - one does not have to be pissed on.
    >
    >> What planet ARE you on?
    >>

    > I happen to be on the planet Earth, in the United States, in California,
    > the County of Los Angeles, in Glendale.

    That's not the *real* world though, is it? Gosh, you are nearly in
    HollyWeird.

    > My computer is sitting on top of the desk that belonged to my great-
    > grandfather, Monroe Alpheus Majors, who used this desk to write the book
    > "Noted Negro Women". He also corresponded with Frederick Douglas and
    > was a good friend of Booker T. Washington.

    Good grief. Well I am sitting watching a chilly sunrise not very far
    from where Boudicca and the Iceni made their stand against the Romans..

    My computer - a very tired G4 Mac, is sitting UNDER a desk I got free
    from a company that threw them out..the server next to it is a giveway
    from a mate, and the phone to my left is a 12 year old Nokia that I do
    not use.

    My mouse was $2.50 on ebay, It says 'IBM' on it. Wonder who they are.
    The M is nearly worn off. The scroll wheel is a bit ddy, but I fixed it
    with epoxy resin and a smidgeon of carbon fibre rod.

    The keyboards is crap Macally.. the cats pissed on the Macintosh one.
    And blew the USB ports and the keyboard input chip.

    The house is reasonably new, but nothing in it is.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jan 31, 2009
  11. The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > sheldonlg wrote:
    >> kangax wrote:
    >>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> "onclick" would make keyboard-based navigation impossible, wouldn't it?
    >>>

    >> I think you are correct. I didn't think of that.

    > Question is, does anybody use keyboard navigation?

    I do all the time when filling out forms. Why would I keep going back
    and forth between the keyboard and the mouse? And then there are people
    who can't use a mouse.

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 31, 2009
  12. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher <>
    writing in news::

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed The Natural Philosopher
    >> <> writing in news::

    >>> Ah, so you find pulse dial phones useful in navigating web sites do
    >>> you?

    >> I'm sorry. I was referring to older cell phones with Internet, not
    >> the newer touchscreen cell phones. I was not referring to land line
    >> phones.
    >>

    > Well my 'cell phone' doesn't do Internet at all.

    The only thing I use the Internet on the phone for is to get phone
    numbers. It's cheaper than paying for the 411 call.

    > The whole point of 'going out' is to get AWAY from internet ;-)

    Amen to that!

    >>> Even year, I have tone dial phones...
    >>>

    >>> So the answer is, yes, there are
    >>>>
    >>> Let me tell you there are alaos a lot of peope who use old type
    >>> phones as well.

    >> Yes, my boss has an old rotary phone and guess what, it still works
    >> because the service provider still recognizes pulse dialing. We
    >> don't use it for dialing out, only for incoming calls, but it's nice
    >> to know that it still works.
    >>
    >>> Ones that wouln't known an internet if it pissed all over them

    >> Just because one has antiques does not mean one doesn't know what an
    >> Internet is - one does not have to be pissed on.
    >>
    >>> What planet ARE you on?
    >>>

    >> I happen to be on the planet Earth, in the United States, in
    >> California, the County of Los Angeles, in Glendale.

    > That's not the *real* world though, is it? Gosh, you are nearly in
    > HollyWeird.

    Yup, and Glendale itself is strange. It's rated as one of the safest
    cities in the United States, and yet, it also has the second worst
    driving record according to All State. So you're safe from crime, but
    you'll get run over by a speeding car on Glenoaks.

    >> My computer is sitting on top of the desk that belonged to my great-
    >> grandfather, Monroe Alpheus Majors, who used this desk to write the
    >> book "Noted Negro Women". He also corresponded with Frederick
    >> Douglas and was a good friend of Booker T. Washington.
    >>

    > Good grief. Well I am sitting watching a chilly sunrise not very far
    > from where Boudicca and the Iceni made their stand against the
    > Romans..
    >
    > My computer - a very tired G4 Mac, is sitting UNDER a desk I got free
    > from a company that threw them out..the server next to it is a giveway
    > from a mate, and the phone to my left is a 12 year old Nokia that I do
    > not use.
    >
    > My mouse was $2.50 on ebay, It says 'IBM' on it. Wonder who they are.
    > The M is nearly worn off. The scroll wheel is a bit ddy, but I fixed
    > it with epoxy resin and a smidgeon of carbon fibre rod.
    >
    > The keyboards is crap Macally.. the cats pissed on the Macintosh one.
    > And blew the USB ports and the keyboard input chip.
    >

    > The house is reasonably new, but nothing in it is.

    My computer (Windows) is like Dr. Who. It's in its 4th incarnation.
    It's oldest hard drive has files from 1998. Luckily, that old drive
    keeps going and going, even though the case and mother board have been
    replaced four times.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 31, 2009