RE: Straw poll on Python performance (was Re: Python is far from atop performer ...)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robert Brewer, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. > Do you spend a "significant" amount of time actually
    > optimizing your Python applications? (Significant is
    > here defined as "more than five percent of your time",
    > which is for example two hours a week in a 40-hour
    > work week.)

    No, I don't. The big object server I'm working on now for four months
    (which actually *has* some performance requirements) has had _one_
    optimization round. I noticed some slowness, profiled the problem down
    to the DB layer, and solved it by switching my ADO recordset to
    read-only. That cut the load time of objects to 1/3 of what it was
    before the optimization. All the other operations to get that data laid
    out on a web page were insignificant in comparison.

    Generally, I tend to "worry" far more about interface design (for both
    users and developers) than performance.

    Robert Brewer
    MIS
    Amor Ministries

    Robert Brewer, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Re: Straw poll on Python performance (was Re: Python is far from a top performer ...)

    In article <>, Robert Brewer wrote:
    >> Do you spend a "significant" amount of time actually
    >> optimizing your Python applications? (Significant is
    >> here defined as "more than five percent of your time",
    >> which is for example two hours a week in a 40-hour
    >> work week.)

    > No, I don't. The big object server I'm working on now for four months
    > (which actually *has* some performance requirements) has had _one_
    > optimization round. I noticed some slowness, profiled the problem down
    > to the DB layer, and solved it by switching my ADO recordset to
    > read-only. That cut the load time of objects to 1/3 of what it was
    > before the optimization. All the other operations to get that data laid
    > out on a web page were insignificant in comparison.

    That's generally been my experience as well.

    > Generally, I tend to "worry" far more about interface design (for both
    > users and developers) than performance.

    Thank you! I couldn't say it better.

    --
    ..:[ dave benjamin (ramenboy) -:- www.ramenfest.com -:- www.3dex.com ]:.
    : d r i n k i n g l i f e o u t o f t h e c o n t a i n e r :

    Dave Benjamin, Jan 10, 2004