Re: Streaming Real or Win

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ramen Junkie, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Ramen Junkie

    Ramen Junkie Guest

    "jake" <> wrote in message
    > In message <y5jac.49624$QO2.24095@pd7tw1no>, Grahammer
    > <postmaster@127.0.0.1> writes
    > >
    > >"EYEBUZZ" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> Looking to stream video and the options the host company will support

    are
    > >Real
    > >> Player files and/or Window Media. My main concern is ease of use by

    > >visitors
    > >> to the site...or which player will the most people have on their

    computer?

    > >I will NEVER put that RealCrap stuff in my PC...
    > >

    > Because .............

    The quality is always horrible. The program mostly looks ugly. It forces
    itself on top of other file types. It puts icons everywhere, who needs an
    icon in the Start Menu, on the Desktop, in the little Quick Launch Tray, AND
    by the clock. Especially when it's a program that opens automatically when
    you double click on a file of that type. Why do I need an icon for it
    ANYWHERE.
    --
    Ramen Junkie

    http://www.lameazoid.com is offline at the moment.

    Ramen Junkie, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Ramen Junkie

    jake Guest

    In message <loNac.5607$>, Ramen Junkie
    <> writes
    >"jake" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <y5jac.49624$QO2.24095@pd7tw1no>, Grahammer
    >> <postmaster@127.0.0.1> writes
    >> >
    >> >"EYEBUZZ" <> wrote in message

    >are
    >> >Real
    >> >visitors

    >computer?
    >> >
    >> >I will NEVER put that RealCrap stuff in my PC...
    >> >

    >> Because .............

    >The quality is always horrible.

    Hmmmm .... can't say I agree with you there. Do you have broadband, or
    are you looking at streaming RealMedia over dial-up?

    >The program mostly looks ugly.

    How does a program look 'ugly' ?

    > It forces
    >itself on top of other file types. It puts icons everywhere, who needs an
    >icon in the Start Menu, on the Desktop, in the little Quick Launch Tray, AND
    >by the clock.

    And how long does it take you to remove them .... if you wanted to?

    >Especially when it's a program that opens automatically when
    >you double click on a file of that type. Why do I need an icon for it
    >ANYWHERE.

    For the same reason you want icons of any other program on your desktop.

    jake, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Ramen Junkie

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >The quality is always horrible.

    > Hmmmm .... can't say I agree with you there. Do you have broadband, or
    > are you looking at streaming RealMedia over dial-up?

    I agree, the quality is on par with the other big players (WMP QT)

    > >The program mostly looks ugly.

    > How does a program look 'ugly' ?

    It just does look ugly, nasty ugly actually, but that is personal
    opinion.

    > And how long does it take you to remove them .... if you wanted to?

    All I hear (in this forum) is bitching about doing things to someone's
    browser is wrong. ("Leave my browser alone, don't touch my status bar,
    etc...") The same is not true with a program and my desktop? Let the
    default be "don't put the icons anywhere" Give me the choice of what I
    want and where I want it. (Actually I personally agree, it takes only a
    second to delete the icons not to mention you can tell the installation
    to NOT put them there, but it just sounds hypocritical don't touch my
    browser, but it is ok to touch my desk top.)

    > >Especially when it's a program that opens automatically when
    > >you double click on a file of that type. Why do I need an icon for it
    > >ANYWHERE.

    > For the same reason you want icons of any other program on your desktop.

    There are a total of 6 icons on my desk top. 4 of which windows will
    not let me get rid of. The other 2 are there because of a bug in XP
    with the printer spool needing to be manually emptied, and if it were
    not for this bug, they would be gone too.

    My point is Everyone is different, and no one program will make everyone
    happy.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Ramen Junkie

    Ramen Junkie Guest

    "jake" <> wrote in message
    > In message <loNac.5607$>, Ramen Junkie
    > <> writes
    > >"jake" <> wrote in message
    > >> In message <y5jac.49624$QO2.24095@pd7tw1no>, Grahammer
    > >> <postmaster@127.0.0.1> writes

    support
    > >are

    > >computer?

    > >> Because .............

    > >The quality is always horrible.

    > Hmmmm .... can't say I agree with you there. Do you have broadband, or
    > are you looking at streaming RealMedia over dial-up?

    Dial Up, but this also concerns when I've downloaded a file and play it off
    the hard drive. The best quality all around are avi files.

    > > It forces
    > >itself on top of other file types. It puts icons everywhere, who needs

    an
    > >icon in the Start Menu, on the Desktop, in the little Quick Launch Tray,

    AND
    > >by the clock.

    > And how long does it take you to remove them .... if you wanted to?

    It's more an annoyance than work.

    > >Especially when it's a program that opens automatically when
    > >you double click on a file of that type. Why do I need an icon for it
    > >ANYWHERE.

    > For the same reason you want icons of any other program on your desktop.

    Actually I've removed all icons from my desktop except the recycle bin. And
    even that has been given a "blank" icon and been renamed as "spacebar" so it
    doesn't show up except when it's full.

    Ramen Junkie, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Ramen Junkie

    Ramen Junkie Guest

    "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > There are a total of 6 icons on my desk top. 4 of which windows will
    > not let me get rid of. The other 2 are there because of a bug in XP
    > with the printer spool needing to be manually emptied, and if it were
    > not for this bug, they would be gone too.
    >
    > My point is Everyone is different, and no one program will make everyone
    > happy.

    You ought to search around, I'm pretty sure there are things you can
    download that will force the removal of some of the "Unremovable" Windows
    icons.

    Ramen Junkie, Apr 1, 2004
  6. Whitecrest wrote:

    > All I hear (in this forum) is bitching about doing things to someone's
    > browser is wrong. ("Leave my browser alone, don't touch my status bar,
    > etc...") The same is not true with a program and my desktop?

    Adding menu entries, etc is *expected* behaviour for an installation
    program.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Apr 1, 2004
  7. Ramen Junkie

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Whitecrest wrote:
    >
    > > All I hear (in this forum) is bitching about doing things to someone's
    > > browser is wrong. ("Leave my browser alone, don't touch my status bar,
    > > etc...") The same is not true with a program and my desktop?

    > Adding menu entries, etc is *expected* behaviour for an installation
    > program.

    Asking me is an expected behaviour. Just doing it is not.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Apr 1, 2004
  8. "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > >The quality is always horrible.

    > > Hmmmm .... can't say I agree with you there. Do you have broadband, or
    > > are you looking at streaming RealMedia over dial-up?

    > I agree, the quality is on par with the other big players (WMP QT)
    >
    > > >The program mostly looks ugly.

    > > How does a program look 'ugly' ?

    > It just does look ugly, nasty ugly actually, but that is personal
    > opinion.
    >
    > > And how long does it take you to remove them .... if you wanted to?

    > All I hear (in this forum) is bitching about doing things to someone's
    > browser is wrong. ("Leave my browser alone, don't touch my status bar,
    > etc...") The same is not true with a program and my desktop? Let the
    > default be "don't put the icons anywhere" Give me the choice of what I
    > want and where I want it. (Actually I personally agree, it takes only a
    > second to delete the icons not to mention you can tell the installation
    > to NOT put them there, but it just sounds hypocritical don't touch my
    > browser, but it is ok to touch my desk top.)
    >
    > > >Especially when it's a program that opens automatically when
    > > >you double click on a file of that type. Why do I need an icon for it
    > > >ANYWHERE.

    > > For the same reason you want icons of any other program on your desktop.

    > There are a total of 6 icons on my desk top. 4 of which windows will
    > not let me get rid of. The other 2 are there because of a bug in XP
    > with the printer spool needing to be manually emptied, and if it were
    > not for this bug, they would be gone too.

    Have you tried Tweak-UI? It allows de-selection of desktop icons you might
    not be able to get rid of otherwise.

    --
    Steve Goodman
    * EarthLight Productions

    Revd. Norle Enturbulata, Apr 2, 2004
  9. Ramen Junkie

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Whitecrest wrote:
    > >
    > > > All I hear (in this forum) is bitching about doing things to someone's
    > > > browser is wrong. ("Leave my browser alone, don't touch my status bar,
    > > > etc...") The same is not true with a program and my desktop?

    > > Adding menu entries, etc is *expected* behaviour for an installation
    > > program.

    > Asking me is an expected behaviour. Just doing it is not.

    I agree. Especially adding them in excess. If it wants to drop something
    in the Start Menu without asking I'm ok with that. Usually I put stuff in
    the Start Menu somewhere. There are aspects of this that are annoying
    though. I hate when it drops it into...

    <Company Name Folder> / <Program/Game Name Folder>

    I don't expect it to know the breakdown of my folder structure but I
    certainly don't want to go through an extra "empty" folder just to get to
    the program. It just clutters the Start Menu. I hate using other people's
    computers where they've got 5000 folders all in the base "Programs" folder.
    It's amazing they can ever find anything in that mess.

    Speaking of clutter though. I also hate when the newly installed program
    throws shortcuts to a bunch of pointless Read Me Help files, "how to
    register" junk, "Visit out website" advertising, etc. It's just more
    clutter. This isn't too much of a problem though because like I mentioned,
    I don't expect it to know my menu organization, I'm going to have to move
    the shortcut anyway which means I can trash all that extra stuff just by
    deleting the folder.

    Ramen Junkie, Apr 2, 2004
  10. Ramen Junkie

    Ramen Junkie Guest

    "jake" <> wrote in message
    > In message <loNac.5607$>, Ramen Junkie
    >
    > >The program mostly looks ugly.

    > How does a program look 'ugly' ?

    It's cluttered with useless garbage like playlists, advertisements, a ton of
    buttons that don't do anything meaningful 99% of the time etc. The perfect
    video player would have nothing but a box where it plays the movie and maybe
    a title bar. Controls would be minimal with things like Play, Stop, Fast
    Forward, rewind, Pause and would take up a little space as possible. The
    controls should also be hideable. I have yet to find a player that actually
    uses this perfect set up. Media Player comes close with it's "Classic
    Skin" or whatever it's called but that still had hugongus controls at the
    bottom with a huge strip of wasted space telling me the file name.

    Ramen Junkie, Apr 3, 2004
  11. Ramen Junkie wrote:

    > The perfect video player would have nothing but a box where it plays
    > the movie and maybe a title bar. Controls would be minimal with things
    > like Play, Stop, Fast Forward, rewind, Pause and would take up a little
    > space as possible. The controls should also be hideable. I have yet to
    > find a player that actually uses this perfect set up.

    http://hadess.net/totem.php3

    Quote: "Totem is the only media player I've seen that doesn't attempt to
    have skins or look like a reject from a 1971 Kenwood catalog."

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Apr 3, 2004
  12. Ramen Junkie

    Ramen Junkie Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Ramen Junkie wrote:
    >
    > > The perfect video player would have nothing but a box where it plays
    > > the movie and maybe a title bar. Controls would be minimal with things
    > > like Play, Stop, Fast Forward, rewind, Pause and would take up a little
    > > space as possible. The controls should also be hideable. I have yet to
    > > find a player that actually uses this perfect set up.

    > http://hadess.net/totem.php3
    >
    > Quote: "Totem is the only media player I've seen that doesn't attempt to
    > have skins or look like a reject from a 1971 Kenwood catalog."

    I'll make a note of that for when I get the second PC I'm fixing up working.
    I'm planning on putting Linux on it. Actually it is working it just may
    need a new fan, this one is making loud buzzing noises.

    Ramen Junkie, Apr 3, 2004
  13. Ramen Junkie

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:58:41 GMT, "Ramen Junkie"
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > need a new fan, this one is making loud buzzing noises.

    Or maybe you stirred up a hornet's nest. :-D

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Apr 6, 2004
  14. Ramen Junkie

    Ramen Junkie Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:58:41 GMT, "Ramen Junkie"
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > need a new fan, this one is making loud buzzing noises.

    > Or maybe you stirred up a hornet's nest. :-D

    That would explain the welts that have appeared on my arms while I was
    putting the thing together.
    --
    Ramen Junkie

    PS I just removed the fan, runs great anyway.

    http://www.lameazoid.com is offline at the moment.

    Ramen Junkie, Apr 6, 2004