Re: Streaming Real or Win

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Keeper, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Keeper

    Keeper Guest

    Negative.. i have WM9.. on Windows 98 SE... after 5 years.(officialy
    released in 99) it old.. and noone has Win (5 that they use daily for
    personal computing..

    Use both if you can.. to save space... i'd go with WM

    Later,
    Keeeper

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > EYEBUZZ wrote:
    >
    > > Looking to stream video and the options the host company will support

    are Real
    > > Player files and/or Window Media. My main concern is ease of use by

    visitors
    > > to the site...or which player will the most people have on their

    computer?

    > It's probably roughly equal.
    >
    > RealPlayer is available across most platforms. Windows Media Player is
    > only (officially) available for Windows, although some versions can be
    > made to run on x86 Linux and there are various other x86 Linux media
    > players that support Windows Media files (though not all the codecs).
    >
    > If you do go the WMP route, steer away from WMP 9, as it is only supported
    > in very recent versions of Windows.
    >
    > Best of course to use both, or several formats, though try to do it in a
    > way that won't confuse the end user.
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    > Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

    ---
    Keeper, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Keeper wrote:

    > Negative.. i have WM9.. on Windows 98 SE... after 5 years.(officialy
    > released in 99) it old..

    Yes, but it doesn't work properly. Many of its features *require* Windows
    XP.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player/sysreq.aspx

    > and noone has Win (5 that they use daily for
    > personal computing..

    If you mean Windows 5.0, then plenty of people do. If you mean Windows 95,
    then plenty of people do. I still get about 10 hits per day from Windows
    95 on my personal site (which isn't really aimed at Windows users anyway).

    And Windows 98 (first edition) doesn't support WMP9 either and I'd wager
    that there are quite a few people using that too.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Keeper

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:42:06 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > And Windows 98 (first edition) doesn't support WMP9 either and I'd wager
    > that there are quite a few people using that too.

    Definitely. A _lot_ of our clients are still using Win95 or 98 First
    Edition.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Thank you all. Aplogies for being away from this. Here is what I have
    learned:
    I went with wmv9 and a combination of wmv9 for the voice track and wmv8 for
    the video track because many corporate users are still using NT and that
    player only supports wmv8. I tried to stream QuickTime but had very
    disappointing results. As most companies want a web video are likely to be
    selling to other companies on Windows, I think I am OK. However, take a look
    at the results for yourself. www.multimediaforbusiness.com.
    Thanks again,
    Christopher
    Christopher R, May 4, 2004
  5. Keeper

    jake Guest

    In message <nATlc.60076$>,
    Christopher R <> writes
    >Thank you all. Aplogies for being away from this. Here is what I have
    >learned:
    >I went with wmv9 and a combination of wmv9 for the voice track and wmv8 for
    >the video track because many corporate users are still using NT and that
    >player only supports wmv8. I tried to stream QuickTime but had very
    >disappointing results. As most companies want a web video are likely to be
    >selling to other companies on Windows, I think I am OK. However, take a look
    >at the results for yourself. www.multimediaforbusiness.com.
    >Thanks again,
    >Christopher

    Quite a nice video, but I wasn't sure how to switch the
    closed-captioning on.

    What speed were you streaming at? or is there a facility for multiple
    audiences (as in Real)?

    regards.

    --
    Jake
    jake, May 4, 2004
  6. "jake" <> wrote in message

    > Quite a nice video, but I wasn't sure how to switch the
    > closed-captioning on.
    >
    > What speed were you streaming at? or is there a facility for multiple
    > audiences (as in Real)?

    Jake,
    The one on the home page at www.multimediaforbusiness.com is at 147 kbits/s.
    Actually, the one on http://www.multimediaforbusiness.com/videocard2.html is
    too, but the former is wmv 8 with a wmv 9 audio and the latter is wmv9.
    I have the status bar set to true, if that's what you mean? <param
    name="ShowStatusBar" value="true"/>
    Which browser are you looking at it with?
    I don't have Real on this site as my target audience should have Windows. I
    do have a consumer site, which has an http (non dedicated server) stream for
    Real. http://www.easydesktopyoga.com/download.html.
    Regards,
    Christopher
    Christopher R, May 5, 2004
  7. Keeper

    jake Guest

    In message <Nacmc.5506$>, Christopher
    R <> writes

    >"jake" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Quite a nice video, but I wasn't sure how to switch the
    >> closed-captioning on.
    >>
    >> What speed were you streaming at? or is there a facility for multiple
    >> audiences (as in Real)?

    >Jake,
    >The one on the home page at www.multimediaforbusiness.com is at 147 kbits/s.
    >Actually, the one on http://www.multimediaforbusiness.com/videocard2.html is
    >too, but the former is wmv 8 with a wmv 9 audio and the latter is wmv9.
    >I have the status bar set to true, if that's what you mean? <param
    >name="ShowStatusBar" value="true"/>
    >Which browser are you looking at it with?
    >I don't have Real on this site as my target audience should have Windows. I
    >do have a consumer site, which has an http (non dedicated server) stream for
    >Real. http://www.easydesktopyoga.com/download.html.
    >Regards,
    >Christopher

    Thanks for all that; the video certainly looks good at that speed
    (looking at it via MSIE).

    By closed-captioning I was thinking of the ability to carry a
    synchronised text commentary (i.e. 'subtitles -- after a fashion) for
    the hearing impaired.

    Is this something your video provides? I wasn't sure whether there might
    be an on/off toggle somewhere.

    regards.

    --
    Jake
    jake, May 5, 2004
  8. Thanks for all that; the video certainly looks good at that speed
    > (looking at it via MSIE).
    >
    > By closed-captioning I was thinking of the ability to carry a
    > synchronised text commentary (i.e. 'subtitles -- after a fashion) for
    > the hearing impaired.
    >
    > Is this something your video provides? I wasn't sure whether there might
    > be an on/off toggle somewhere.
    >
    > regards.
    >
    > --
    > Jake

    I haven't investigated that function. What is your project?
    Christopher
    Christopher R, May 6, 2004
  9. Keeper

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <49jmc.60751$>,
    says...
    > > By closed-captioning I was thinking of the ability to carry a
    > > synchronised text commentary (i.e. 'subtitles -- after a fashion) for
    > > the hearing impaired.
    > > Is this something your video provides? I wasn't sure whether there might
    > > be an on/off toggle somewhere.

    There are 3 different pieces of information you can embed into the
    stream (actually called scripting).

    TEXT: Closed captioning.
    CUSTOM: Allows you to embed almost any information you want.

    All these can be read via liveconnect on IE5+ and NN7+ (the only non IE
    browser that has live connect done right)
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, May 6, 2004