Re: String enhancement

Discussion in 'C++' started by Ivan Vecerina, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. "Michael A." <> wrote in message
    > How can I enhance the standard c++ string (from #include <string>) so that
    > before it allocates new memory it fills the previous memory with 0's.

    You could do this portably by providing a custom allocator.
    However, you would need to replace std::string (which
    is actually a typedef to std::basic_string<char>) with
    another typedef (e.g. MyString).
    For example:
    typedef std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>
    , MyAllocator<char> > MyString;

    Regarding how to define MyAllocator, you could start with
    either of the following examples:
    http://www.tempest-sw.com/cpp/draft/ch13-36-memory.html
    or
    http://www.roguewave.com/support/docs/leif/toolsug/12-6.html

    std::string itself cannot be altered portably. Except by
    providing your own implementation of the global new and
    delete functions (but this would affect all memory
    allocations, not just strings).

    hth,
    Ivan

    --