Re: Stupid eclipse/android question

Discussion in 'Java' started by Alessio Stalla, Mar 2, 2011.

  1. On Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:40:37 AM UTC+1, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 28-02-2011 16:37, Lew wrote:
    > > On Feb 28, 3:50 pm, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax<>
    > > wrote:

    > >> Shit.
    > >> Back to Basic for my home nuke then.
    > >>

    > > Seriously, you're citing the Java 1.4 license? Who uses Java 1.4?
    > >
    > > Java 6 has the same restriction if you use Oracle's version.
    > >
    > > The question is harder to answer for OpenJDK. The Sun binary license
    > > for OpenJDK has the no-nukes clause but the GPL does not. The binary
    > > license does not mention Oracle.

    > I don't think they can have the clause for OpenJDK.
    >
    > From the definition of open source:
    > http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd
    >
    > "The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
    > a specific field of endeavor."
    >
    > I think that makes an exclude for nuclear-power-plants incompatible.

    But Oracle's license does not prohibit use in nuclear power plants, it justwarns you that the software is not designed for such a use (i.e. if you douse it and it fails, Oracle is not accountable).

    Alessio Stalla, Mar 2, 2011

  2. Alessio Stalla

    Paul Cager Guest

    On Mar 2, 3:24 pm, Alessio Stalla <> wrote:
    > On Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:40:37 AM UTC+1, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > > On 28-02-2011 16:37, Lew wrote:

    > > > Seriously, you're citing the Java 1.4 license?  Who uses Java 1.4?

    > > > Java 6 has the same restriction if you use Oracle's version.

    > > > The question is harder to answer for OpenJDK.  The Sun binary license
    > > > for OpenJDK has the no-nukes clause but the GPL does not.  The binary
    > > > license does not mention Oracle.

    > > I don't think they can have the clause for OpenJDK.

    > >  From the definition of open source:
    > >    http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

    > > "The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
    > > a specific field of endeavor."

    > > I think that makes an exclude for nuclear-power-plants incompatible.

    > But Oracle's license does not prohibit use in nuclear power plants, it just warns you that the software is not designed for such a use (i.e. if you do use it and it fails, Oracle is not accountable).

    Interesting. It used to be stricter (at least for JavaCC):

    "You acknowledge that this software is not designed, licensed or
    intended for use in the design, construction, operation or
    maintenance of any nuclear facility."

    That did indeed conflict with many definitions of Free Software.

    Paul Cager, Mar 2, 2011

  3. Alessio Stalla

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 02-03-2011 11:03, Paul Cager wrote:
    > On Mar 2, 3:24 pm, Alessio Stalla<> wrote:

    >>> I don't think they can have the clause for OpenJDK.

    >>> From the definition of open source:
    >>> http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

    >>> "The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
    >>> a specific field of endeavor."

    >>> I think that makes an exclude for nuclear-power-plants incompatible.

    >> But Oracle's license does not prohibit use in nuclear power plants, it just warns you that the software is not designed for such a use (i.e. if you do use it and it fails, Oracle is not accountable).

    > Interesting. It used to be stricter (at least for JavaCC):
    >
    > "You acknowledge that this software is not designed, licensed or
    > intended for use in the design, construction, operation or
    > maintenance of any nuclear facility."
    >
    > That did indeed conflict with many definitions of Free Software.

    It looks as if the dropped the license part going from 1.3.x to
    1.4.x.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 3, 2011
  4. Alessio Stalla

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 02-03-2011 10:24, Alessio Stalla wrote:
    > On Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:40:37 AM UTC+1, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 28-02-2011 16:37, Lew wrote:

    >>> Seriously, you're citing the Java 1.4 license? Who uses Java 1.4?
    >>>
    >>> Java 6 has the same restriction if you use Oracle's version.
    >>>
    >>> The question is harder to answer for OpenJDK. The Sun binary license
    >>> for OpenJDK has the no-nukes clause but the GPL does not. The binary
    >>> license does not mention Oracle.

    >> I don't think they can have the clause for OpenJDK.
    >>
    >> From the definition of open source:
    >> http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd
    >>
    >> "The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
    >> a specific field of endeavor."
    >>
    >> I think that makes an exclude for nuclear-power-plants incompatible.

    > But Oracle's license does not prohibit use in nuclear power plants, it just warns you that the software is not designed for such a use (i.e. if you do use it and it fails, Oracle is not accountable).

    You are correct.

    Even though I don't think SUN/Oracle accepts responsibility for
    failures in any other field.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 3, 2011