Re: Style help for a Smalltalk-hack

Discussion in 'Python' started by Travis Griggs, Oct 23, 2012.

  1. On Oct 22, 2012, at 6:33 PM, MRAB <> wrote:

    > By the way, in Python the recommended style for variable names (well,
    > what you'd call a 'variable' in other languages :)) is lowercase with
    > underscores, e.g. "byte_stream".

    We went with the

    "...mixedCase is allowed only in contexts where that's already the prevailing style (e.g. threading.py), to retain backwards compatibility…"

    escape clause. :)

    The group of us here are working in multiple languages, and all use it (mixedCase) across all of them. Because PEP 8 makes it clear up front that "internal consistency is preferred", we felt justified in marching on.

    --
    Travis Griggs
    "A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done." -Terry Pratchett

    Travis Griggs, Oct 23, 2012