Re: Stylesheet to make IE and FF closer?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne Boswell, Feb 8, 2009.

  1. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Is it possible to use CSS to make it so that the differences in
    > how IE, FF and Opera handle things like font sizes is minimized?
    >
    > Is there a "default" stylesheet that I can look at that IE or FF
    > or Opera uses when there is no user-provided stylesheet ?

    It doesn't mean anything. Don't worry about it. If you want things to
    look the same across browsers, use PDF.

    One way to see what browsers do is to make a plain "Hello World" page
    without any styling, and open it in various browsers. If you have set
    the font and font size the same on all YOUR browsers, it will look the
    same, otherwise it will not. But, of course, you can't be going round
    to people's houses and make them change their settings.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 8, 2009

  2. Adrienne Boswell

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> Is it possible to use CSS to make it so that the differences in
    >> how IE, FF and Opera handle things like font sizes is minimized?
    >>
    >> Is there a "default" stylesheet that I can look at that IE or FF
    >> or Opera uses when there is no user-provided stylesheet ?

    > One way to see what browsers do is to make a plain "Hello World" page
    > without any styling, and open it in various browsers.

    Such a page appears at
    http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_fontsize.htm ... though you may
    not care for the advice which appears on this plain page.
    C A Upsdell, Feb 8, 2009

  3. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9BAC5A8484ABAarbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > ... it will look the
    > same, otherwise it will not. But, of course, you can't be going round
    > to people's houses and make them change their settings.

    The Israelis rang up Palestinians in their hundreds or thousands to tell
    them to get out of their houses before they were bombed. A rich
    government site author might consider...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 8, 2009
  4. On 2009-02-08, wrote:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >
    >>If you want things to look the same across browsers, use PDF.

    > Not looking for same. Don't think I can get that Looking for closer
    > than default. If I use no CSS, IE and FF have different font sizes.

    On your computer they may. On someone else's, their relative sizes
    may be different. You *cannot* know exactly how a page will look on
    someone else's scomputer unless you are sitting in front of it.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Feb 8, 2009
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
    <> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
    :

    > In article <Xns9BAC5A8484ABAarbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102>,
    > Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >
    >> ... it will look the
    >> same, otherwise it will not. But, of course, you can't be going round
    >> to people's houses and make them change their settings.

    > The Israelis rang up Palestinians in their hundreds or thousands to tell
    > them to get out of their houses before they were bombed. A rich
    > government site author might consider...

    Thank you, dorayme, I needed a good laugh. The US can't afford to do
    something like that - well, at least California can't.

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 8, 2009