Re: subprocess escaping POpen?!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Withers, Aug 5, 2010.

  1. Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
    > On Donnerstag 05 August 2010, Chris Withers wrote:
    >> But why only the request for auth credentials?

    > for security reasons I suppose - make sure a human enters
    > the password

    Well yes, but what if you actually want to script it?

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

    Chris Withers, Aug 5, 2010

  2. On 2010-08-05, Chris Withers <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
    >> On Donnerstag 05 August 2010, Chris Withers wrote:
    >>> But why only the request for auth credentials?

    >> for security reasons I suppose - make sure a human enters
    >> the password

    > Well yes, but what if you actually want to script it?

    Scripting passwords is considered a huge security hole, so people who
    care about security try to prevent it by doing things like reading
    passwords from /dev/tty instead of stdin.

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I want my nose in
    at lights!

    Grant Edwards, Aug 5, 2010

  3. In message <>, Chris
    Withers wrote:

    > Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
    >
    >> On Donnerstag 05 August 2010, Chris Withers wrote:
    >>
    >>> But why only the request for auth credentials?

    >> for security reasons I suppose - make sure a human enters
    >> the password

    > Well yes, but what if you actually want to script it?

    Set up a public/private key pair.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 6, 2010