Re: SUN challenges Microsoft

Discussion in 'HTML' started by andy johnson, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. andy johnson

    andy johnson Guest

    On 16 Sep 2003 11:23:37 -0700, (Trevor) wrote:

    >CNN announces that SUN is developing browser software.
    >

    >Since Microsoft draws a lot of hate mail, I thought people might like this:
    >
    >http://us.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/09/16/sun.java.ap/index.html

    From that article:

    "The Sun Java Desktop system, which was formerly code-named Mad
    Hatter, runs on the open-source Linux operating system and includes a
    variety of programs that replace Microsoft's Internet browser,
    productivity suite and other parts of the Windows package. "

    I thought Linux WAS a complete operating system, and it has a GUI of
    some kind too. With all of the free software out there, (including
    Opera) isn't this unnecessary?

    -
    Andy

    "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
    didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
    - (Calvin and Hobbes)
    andy johnson, Sep 16, 2003

  2. andy johnson

    Dylan Parry Guest

    andy johnson wrote:

    > I thought Linux WAS a complete operating system, and it has a GUI of
    > some kind too. With all of the free software out there, (including
    > Opera) isn't this unnecessary?

    Linux has no GUI of its own. In fact all Linux comprises of is a Kernel
    and a few Kernel modules. It's all the software that utilises this Kernel
    that makes the system, and some of this software may form a GUI (xwindows).

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Sep 16, 2003

  3. andy johnson

    Art Sackett Guest

    Dylan Parry <> wrote:

    > Linux has no GUI of its own. In fact all Linux comprises of is a Kernel
    > and a few Kernel modules. It's all the software that utilises this Kernel
    > that makes the system, and some of this software may form a GUI (xwindows).

    And it might look like this:

    http://www.artsackett.com/screenshot.png

    That's what mine looked like a moment ago.

    --
    Art Sackett,
    Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
    Art Sackett, Sep 17, 2003
  4. andy johnson

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Dylan Parry, Sep 17, 2003
  5. andy johnson

    andy johnson Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:30:52 +0100, Dylan Parry
    <> wrote:

    >Art Sackett wrote:
    >
    >[looks of Linux]
    >> And it might look like this:
    >>
    >> http://www.artsackett.com/screenshot.png
    >>
    >> That's what mine looked like a moment ago.

    >Or it might look like this:
    >
    >http://www.dylanparry.com/stuff/desktop.png
    >
    >Which is a very much different view to Art's.

    These screen shots look pretty good to me, so what's the big deal with
    Suns new software? Sounds like MS hype.....
    -

    andy johnson, Sep 17, 2003
  6. andy johnson

    Dylan Parry Guest

    andy johnson wrote:

    > These screen shots look pretty good to me, so what's the big deal with
    > Suns new software? Sounds like MS hype.....

    It's just another window manager, nothing fascinating about that really,
    nothing new at all. If you look at Art's screenshot, his window manager is
    GNOME, whereas looking at mine you see my window manager KDE. Sun's /new/
    software is yet another alternative to these.

    (There are many more windows managers already, not just the two I have
    mentioned.)

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Sep 17, 2003