Re: sync dir's

Discussion in 'Python' started by Timothy Smith, May 10, 2005.

  1. Gerhard Haering wrote:

    >On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 05:21:30PM +1000, Timothy Smith wrote:
    >

    >>i need something which has a python library, so far i haven't seen
    >>anything like that for rsync. i'll check out the others but
    >>

    >http://osx.freshmeat.net/projects/pysync/
    >
    > """
    > Pysync has both a demonstration implementation of the rsync and
    > related algorithms in pure Python, and a high speed librsync Python
    > extension. The pure Python is not fast and is not optimized, however
    > it does work and provides a simple implementation of the algorithm
    > for reference and experimentation. It includes a combination of
    > ideas taken from librsync, xdelta, and rsync. The librsync Python
    > extension is less flexible and harder to understand, but is very
    > fast.
    > """

    pysync hasn't been worked on in years by the looks of it. no new
    releases since 03. and the last release was for 2.1, so i'm dubious
    about it working at all? the windows installer doesn't work either.

    Timothy Smith, May 10, 2005

  2. Timothy Smith

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Timothy Smith wrote:
    > Gerhard Haering wrote:
    >> http://osx.freshmeat.net/projects/pysync/
    >>

    > pysync hasn't been worked on in years by the looks of it. no new
    > releases since 03. and the last release was for 2.1, so i'm dubious
    > about it working at all? the windows installer doesn't work either.

    You can (apparently) contact the maintainer ("ABO") for windows binaries
    if you need them. He is also on the librsync project, which has as its
    latest news "0.9.6 released", and the release in 2003 of pysync was
    intended to update it to use librsync 0.9.6. That suggests to me this
    is more a case of "things work" than a case of "dead project".

    In any case, pysync itself doesn't even have code to walk the directory
    tree or send data, just the delta/patch code, so unless you plan to
    build the other parts for yourself it may not be what you need. (On the
    other hand, if you need just the delta/patch code, it sounds like it
    should work fine.) I haven't tried it myself (yet).

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, May 10, 2005