Re: system commands exit 1

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Charlton Wilbur, Feb 20, 2013.

  1. >>>>> "RA" == R Allen <> writes:

    RA> I have noticed that my file perms on this host are strange. For
    RA> instance, I can open, write, and save the file, but I cannot
    RA> redirect into it (echo "hello perl" > file fails).

    Two points --

    1. the ability to create or delete a file in a directory is a permission
    of the directory, not of the file. See perlfaq5, "Why does Perl let me
    delete read-only files?"

    2. many shells have a setting that prevents you from accidentally
    overwriting a file. In C shell, it's called noclobber. If foo exists,
    and this setting is on, echo "text" > foo will fail. This is not a
    function of file permissions, but of the shell settings.

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur
    Charlton Wilbur, Feb 20, 2013

  2. Charlton Wilbur

    Uri Guttman Guest

    >> and Perl has been frozen
    >> there at 5.8.7 due to EBCDIC-Unicode issues.

    BM> Due to IBM not giving a damn.

    not that i care about big iron these days (was weaned on them), but p5p
    was talking about dropping perl support for ebcdic/z-os but recent
    emails seem to show someone willing to help out. can't predict the
    outcome or any continuing work.

    uri
    Uri Guttman, Feb 26, 2013