Re: System.Net.Sockets.Tcplistener

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jeff, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    Please see inline comments:

    "MB" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I am new to sockets programming, but I need something that seems to be very
    > simple.
    >
    > I need to monitor a port on a server running a background application in
    > order to integrate to another application. I know the port number and the
    > vendor will provide me the binary sequence of the data stream going to that
    > port. This is all they will provide.
    >
    > On this stream (among other info) I will receive an active or inactive bit
    > that represents the state of the application icon on the system tray. When
    > active it turns green, when inactive it turns red.

    It seems you need a piece of socket listener code.

    > Is it possible to snoop this port using the namespace
    > System.Net.Sockets.Tcplistener or another namespace ?

    Yes, you can do it by System.Net.Sockets.Tcplistener if it is in tcp protocol or System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient if in udp protocol.

    > Is it possible to read the data stream without affecting the backgound
    > application, which is also reading the stream.

    What's this mean? Where the stream come from? Is the background also a socket listener?

    jeff, Jul 17, 2003