Re: <table align=left>

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DU, May 31, 2005.

  1. DU

    DU Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > Question 1:
    > how can I get ride of the space between..

    align is deprecated and here align=left is most likely useless. The
    default horizontal alignment of a table is left unless your document
    text-direction is rtl.

    The space you refer to could be related to the fact that a table is a
    block-level element and "Generally, block-level elements begin on new
    lines, inline elements do not."
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.5.3
    "When rendered visually, block-level elements usually begin on a new line."
    http://www.htmlhelp.org/reference/html40/block.html

    It's difficult to suggest some explanations without being able to
    actually see the page you see, without being able to examine the markup
    code you use and without knowing with which browser and brower version
    you see that space.

    > Question 2:
    > What is the earliest browser that support this?

    That supports <table>? That supports the space between table elements?

    DU
    --
    The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
    Firefox 1.0.4 :)
    DU, May 31, 2005

  2. DU

    Steve Pugh Guest

    DU <> wrote:

    >Ben wrote:
    >
    >> Question 1:
    >> how can I get ride of the space between..

    >align is deprecated and here align=left is most likely useless. The
    >default horizontal alignment of a table is left unless your document
    >text-direction is rtl.

    But align=left does alter the display somewhat:

    align="left" effectively floats the table in most graphical browsers.

    The OP should, of course, be using an actual CSS float though.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, May 31, 2005

  3. in alt.html, Steve Pugh wrote:

    > align="left" effectively floats the table in most graphical browsers.

    As spec says

    > The OP should, of course, be using an actual CSS float though.

    Why? It seems that OP is doing table layout in order to support old
    browsers. In which case doing this only in CSS would be stupid.

    But it would make sence to add float:left there as well, as there is bug
    in some versions of Opera 7 on handling this kind of floats.

    Utrecht, NL.
    Support me, buy Opera:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=882173
    Lauri Raittila, Jun 4, 2005