Re: Table editor wanted

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Pete, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > Anyway, the example has problems and looks a lot like it was generated
    > by some program like an old copy of MS Office or FrontPage

    The example is incidental to the original question, which was whether
    anyone knew of an easier way to create such a table with colspans and
    rowspans.

    > You do not want to have code like this at all!

    You're right. And I try not to - it was simply a visual example that
    showed the type of table I often need to generate. The code behind the
    example is quite irrelevant, and I didn't write it.

    > for the idea of separating the style from the html.

    That's actually quite funny, because the very reason I used an example
    from a "commercial" web site that I didn't write myself was to TRY to
    separate style from the HTML! Instead, you've looked at the code and
    not the actual problem - the funny part being that you've kind of done
    the "not separating the style from the HTML" thing yourself :)

    > Half your problems would disappear if you did make this separation.

    You seem to be answering a question that I didn't ask.

    I didn't write the example code, and the code itself really is
    irrelevant. The example page was just intended as a visual example of
    the kind of table I need to create.

    > You might then find you might not need a robot to generate it.

    I don't want or need a robot. Have you ever tried to manually create
    the HTML code for a table such as the one shown in the example? It
    takes a long time, it's difficult, and it's error prone.

    I figured that other people might have had the same problem I do, and if
    so, someone might have created a visual HTML table editing tool that
    would make it easy to "join" adjacent cells with rowspan and colspan. I
    don't want or need something like Dreamweaver just to do that - I'm
    quite happy using EditPlus to write my HTML.

    Thanks for your response, though.

    Peter

    Pete, Aug 21, 2008

  2. On Aug 21, 8:09 am, Pete <> wrote:
    > Thanks for your response, though.

    Pete, after suggesting Dreamweaver, dorayme completely lost your point
    and went on rambling about other things... Women, can't live with
    them, can't live without them. Well I guess we could, but there would
    be a lot more beer drinking and internet porn...

    Anyway....

    Dreamweaver CS3 (and earlier versions) does exact what you describe.
    I would think that most good wysiwyg HTML editors are capable of doing
    this. If you don't already have one I would download the demo
    version of Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expressions web, or choose from a
    few others. Create a new page, add a table, then drag and merge rows
    and columns to your hearts content.

    --
    Travis
    Flash Crap: http://travisnewbury.blogspot.com

    Travis Newbury, Aug 21, 2008

  3. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Dreamweaver CS3 (and earlier versions) does exact what you describe.
    > I would think that most good wysiwyg HTML editors are capable of doing
    > this. If you don't already have one I would download the demo
    > version of Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expressions web, or choose from a
    > few others. Create a new page, add a table, then drag and merge rows
    > and columns to your hearts content.

    You can also use KompoZer for the same, but unlike DW will not cost you
    a dime.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 21, 2008
  4. Pete

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 21 Aug 2008, Pete <> wrote:

    > > Half your problems would disappear if you did make this separation.

    > You seem to be answering a question that I didn't ask.

    Egads, lad, have you no experience of women??

    > Thanks for your response, though.

    Yeah, thanks for nothing...

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.net/

    Neredbojias, Aug 21, 2008
  5. Pete

    dorayme Guest

    In article <g8jlsv$tl6$>,
    Pete <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > Anyway, the example has problems and looks a lot like it was generated
    > > by some program like an old copy of MS Office or FrontPage

    > The example is incidental to the original question, which was whether
    > anyone knew of an easier way to create such a table with colspans and
    > rowspans.

    I am sorry I was unable to help you better Pete. I was thinking it was
    not incidental in all respects otherwise you would not have mentioned
    it. And must have got the respect in which it was relevant wrong!

    In length? No, it was quite a short table. In complexity? It did not
    look that complex? But I see now, you perhaps meant 'keep extrapolating
    from the look of this example...'

    > > You do not want to have code like this at all!

    > You're right. And I try not to - it was simply a visual example that
    > showed the type of table I often need to generate. The code behind the
    > example is quite irrelevant, and I didn't write it.

    Again, sorry, I misinterpreted your "It's not my work, but here's the
    kind of thing I need to end up with:"

    > > for the idea of separating the style from the html.

    > That's actually quite funny, because the very reason I used an example
    > from a "commercial" web site that I didn't write myself was to TRY to
    > separate style from the HTML! Instead, you've looked at the code and
    > not the actual problem - the funny part being that you've kind of done
    > the "not separating the style from the HTML" thing yourself :)

    Now you are rubbing it in! How am I going to get through the day today
    after my error? <g>

    > > Half your problems would disappear if you did make this separation.

    > You seem to be answering a question that I didn't ask.

    Excuse me for saying this. Ask a dozen ordinary people if it was evident
    from your first post that you knew about separating content from style.
    Why, they might have asked, did you choose an example that did not do
    this rather than plentifully available examples that did?

    > I didn't write the example code, and the code itself really is
    > irrelevant. The example page was just intended as a visual example of
    > the kind of table I need to create.
    >
    > > You might then find you might not need a robot to generate it.

    > I don't want or need a robot.

    Why not? You want life to be easy so why exactly don't you want this if
    it did the job you wanted? Why? Do you think I meant by robot one of
    those things that Sony have been putting out for the last few years? Or
    like the one in Dr Who? I meant a wysiwg program, silly billy!

    > Have you ever tried to manually create
    > the HTML code for a table such as the one shown in the example? It
    > takes a long time, it's difficult, and it's error prone.

    Well, ... er... frankly... yes. I like doing things like this by hand.
    It is satisfying and I have nice control of the process. There's a nice
    algorithm for laying out stuff by drawing with a pencil beforehand, it
    was in an HTML book I read years ago. But I take it you would not be
    interested in such a thing. You would be very surprised how efficient it
    can be if you plan properly and separate style from content.

    > I figured that other people might have had the same problem I do, and if
    > so, someone might have created a visual HTML table editing tool that
    > would make it easy to "join" adjacent cells with rowspan and colspan. I
    > don't want or need something like Dreamweaver just to do that - I'm
    > quite happy using EditPlus to write my HTML.

    You see, if a table is really really long and complex (unlike the
    example you displayed) then I have been known to fire up one of my old
    Macs or a Windows box and use Office or Word 97 which can generate stuff
    for HTML and I then get to clean it up with S&R and GREP cutting out all
    the crud. These programs can often do ok on the basic skeleton
    underneath it.

    (btw. Once I did this to a particularly nasty table and when I got rid
    of the crud to one side, I noticed a couple of screams from the crap
    heap, I poked through it to see if I could help. But when I saw it was
    those two utter misogynist oafs (who have crept out of their creep hole
    in this thread I notice) I quickly dropped them back in. <g>)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 21, 2008