Re: Table in a DIV for Chrome

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 17, 2010.

  1. Dennis wrote:

    > Ok,got it to work, put left tables in a div and set the width of the
    > div and tables. I also got the css and Strict HTML to validate.

    Very good. Does that mean it works in Chrome, as per your original
    question?

    You've a valid <title> element now, but it's empty! ;-)
    Consider using <th> for column headings.
    You could consolidate a lot of your CSS, too.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 17, 2010

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Peter Guest

    In article <i1s0o6$6ji$-september.org>,
    lid says...
    > Dennis wrote:
    >
    > Consider using <th> for column headings.

    Is there any gain from doing so? Was just wondering.

    --
    Pete Ives
    Peter, Jul 17, 2010

  3. Peter wrote:

    > lid says...
    >> Consider using <th> for column headings.

    > Is there any gain from doing so? Was just wondering.

    Search engines. <th> is a semantically-correct "table heading."
    Styling. Style them separately from data cells without needing to add a
    class to the tag.

    th { font-color: red; } and similar. Note that the default styles for
    a th are different than a td.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 17, 2010
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter <> wrote:

    > In article <i1s0o6$6ji$-september.org>,
    > lid says...
    > > Dennis wrote:
    > >
    > > Consider using <th> for column headings.
    > >

    > Is there any gain from doing so? Was just wondering.

    Yes, it means something to machines like search engines and voice
    browsers, it also means things to someone who might take over
    your project. A voice reader might treat the headings differently
    in pausing to let the reader know and repeatedly know what column
    it is speaking from, there may be more emphasis and
    deliberateness - and RESPECT - in the voice on the strength of it
    being a th rather than a lowly foot soldier td.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 18, 2010
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Peter Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > Peter <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <i1s0o6$6ji$-september.org>,
    > > lid says...
    > > > Dennis wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Consider using <th> for column headings.
    > > >

    > > Is there any gain from doing so? Was just wondering.

    > Yes, it means something to machines like search engines and voice
    > browsers, it also means things to someone who might take over
    > your project. A voice reader might treat the headings differently
    > in pausing to let the reader know and repeatedly know what column
    > it is speaking from, there may be more emphasis and
    > deliberateness - and RESPECT - in the voice on the strength of it
    > being a th rather than a lowly foot soldier td.

    Cheers to Beauregard and yourself for putting me straight. :)

    --
    Pete Ives
    Peter, Jul 18, 2010