Re: Table Is Displayed Very Strangely

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kaypee, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Kaypee

    Kaypee Guest

    myself I tried a number of options

    2 that worked were
    i) use firefox
    ii) use javascript to width of page and then set actual value for middle
    col
    not much use for those that use IE and turn off javascript!

    it is weird. slowly but steadily increased lentgh of 1st row text. 1 col
    was fine until got to about 20 chars then it increased. At 40 chars 1st col
    was 40 wide. does that make any sense to anyone??

    Kaypee

    "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message
    I have fooled around with the generated code by copy and pasting it into an
    HTML file. My conclusion is that the problem is in the first row, but not
    with the headertabs. I tried removing everything in the cell in the first
    row. This made the second row look as I expected. When I added some text to
    this cell, the second row continued to look as I expected. However, when I
    add a large amount of text (enough to go beyond the width of the first cell
    in the second row), this caused the problem I showed in the screenshot.
    Apparently IE is having some kind of problem with the colspan=3 attribute.
    Any ideas?
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    "Bruce Barker" <> wrote in message
    most likely your header tabs has a bug in it, and leaves dangling markup.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message
    I have an HTML table that I want to be displayed with 3 columns, first
    column width=200, third column width=200, and the center column will have
    the remaining with. I have used the following code to do this:

    <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="leftcolumn" Src="leftcolumn.ascx" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="headertabs" Src="headertabs.ascx" %>
    <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="WebForm1.aspx.vb"
    Inherits="LVBEP.WebForm1"%>
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <title>LVBEP Site Template</title>
    name="vs_targetSchema">
    <LINK href="LVBEP.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
    </HEAD>
    runat="server"></uc1:headertabs></td>
    width="100%" color="black" noShade SIZE="1"></td>
    width="100%" color="black" noShade SIZE="1"></td>
    SIZE="1"></td>
    </form>
    </HTML>

    Here is what the part of the page containing the table looks like:

    There are two things that do not seem to be doing what I expected:

    1. The 2nd row of the table is not taking up the entire width of the screen,
    yet the first row does.
    2. There is an "empty" area between the first and second TD's. I would
    expect the second TD to be wider and take up this space.

    This is very strange, if anyone has any ideas as to why this might be
    happening please let me know. Thanks.

    Kaypee, Sep 15, 2005

  2. That's the same thing that happened to me. For some reason the amount of
    content in the first row is affecting the display of the columns in the
    second row, even though the first row is supposed to span the entire 3
    columns.

    Nathan Sokalski, Sep 15, 2005