Re: Table row height problems

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Thomas A. Rowe, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Look at the source of my splash page on my site below on a possible
    solution.

    WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
    http://www.ycoln-resources.com
    FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
    MS KB Quick Links, etc.

    Thomas A. Rowe, Jun 23, 2003

  2. "Thomas A. Rowe" <> wrote in message
    <top posting fixed>
    > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
    > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
    >
    > "stevehayter" <> wrote in message
    > > Wonder if anyone can help me solve this problem!
    > >
    > > I have a 3x3 table which i'm using to create a table with a rounded
    > > edge using images in the top left, top right, bottom left, and bottom
    > > right cells and lines in the top/left/right and bottom cells (sounds
    > > odd, you'll see what i mean when you see the site). It works fine,
    > > except the top and bottom rows are a lot bigger than i've specified
    > > when they should be flush with the centre cell as the left and right
    > > columns are. I know it's nothing to do with the graphic being too
    > > large because that is the size i have set the height to. Can anyone
    > > shed any light on this!?
    > >
    > > The site can be viewed at
    > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hayterfamily/borderprob.html
    > >
    > > I have left borders on so you can see the cell layout - turning them
    > > off makes no difference.
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > > Steve

    > Look at the source of my splash page on my site below on a possible
    > solution.

    > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
    > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
    > http://www.ycoln-resources.com
    > FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
    > MS KB Quick Links, etc.

    Or don't, considering the 279 markup errors on
    http://www.ycoln-resources.com/welcome.asp

    I'm not about to take HTML advice from someone who shits all over their
    markup like that.

    Then again, it was made with frontpage...

    --
    Karl Core
    EightNineThree, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Thomas A. Rowe

    Sam Hughes Guest

    [meta] Re: Table row height problems

    "Thomas A. Rowe" <> wrote in

    (quoting fixed)

    > "stevehayter" <> wrote in message
    >> Wonder if anyone can help me solve this problem!
    >>
    >> I have a 3x3 table which i'm using to create a table with a rounded
    >> edge using images in the top left, top right, bottom left, and bottom
    >> right cells and lines in the top/left/right and bottom cells (sounds
    >> odd, you'll see what i mean when you see the site). It works fine,
    >> except the top and bottom rows are a lot bigger than i've specified
    >> when they should be flush with the centre cell as the left and right
    >> columns are. I know it's nothing to do with the graphic being too
    >> large because that is the size i have set the height to. Can anyone
    >> shed any light on this!?
    >>
    >> The site can be viewed at
    >> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hayterfamily/borderprob.html
    >>
    >> I have left borders on so you can see the cell layout - turning them
    >> off makes no difference.
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >> Steve

    > Look at the source of my splash page on my site below on a possible
    > solution.

    I don't know about the other groups to which all this was crossposted but
    in alt.html it's customary to put your replies below the quoted text.

    > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
    > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
    > http://www.ycoln-resources.com
    > FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
    > MS KB Quick Links, etc.
    > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
    > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

    Second, it's bad nettiquite to have a sig that's longer than 4 lines.

    Also, you put your sig above the text which you quoted. Another bad
    idea. When viewing your post, all of the quoted text was marked as part
    of your signature.
    Sam Hughes, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Re: [meta] Re: Table row height problems

    Dear Net Nanny Sam:

    In the FP newsgroups, it's quite appropriate to top post and have sigs the
    way Mr. Rowe did. Suggest you tell your buddies in the alt groups not to
    cross-post to MS FP newsgroups if you want your petty rules followed.

    --
    -----
    Tom Pepper Willett

    Tom Pepper Willett, Jun 24, 2003
  5. [followups trimmed to ciwah]

    In message <> on Monday June 23
    2003 15:39, Thomas A. Rowe wrote:

    > Look at the source of my splash page on my site below on a possible
    > solution.

    Have you run your page through a validator lately? 72 errors, *after*
    specifiying an encoding and doctype manually (iso-8859-1 and HTML 4.01
    Transitional respectively).

    --
    Shawn K. Quinn
    Shawn K. Quinn, Jun 24, 2003
  6. Re: [meta] Re: Table row height problems

    "Tom Pepper Willett" <> wrote in message
    <top posting fixed AGAIN
    > "Sam Hughes" <> wrote in message
    > | "Thomas A. Rowe" <> wrote in
    > |
    > | (quoting fixed)
    > |
    > | > "stevehayter" <> wrote in message

    > | > Look at the source of my splash page on my site below on a possible
    > | > solution.
    > |
    > | I don't know about the other groups to which all this was crossposted

    but
    > | in alt.html it's customary to put your replies below the quoted text.
    > |

    > | > --
    > | >
    > | > ==============================================
    > | > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
    > | > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
    > | > http://www.ycoln-resources.com
    > | > FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
    > | > MS KB Quick Links, etc.
    > | > ==============================================
    > | > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
    > | > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
    > |
    > | Second, it's bad nettiquite to have a sig that's longer than 4 lines.
    > |
    > | Also, you put your sig above the text which you quoted. Another bad
    > | idea. When viewing your post, all of the quoted text was marked as part
    > | of your signature.
    > |

    > Dear Net Nanny Sam:
    >
    > In the FP newsgroups, it's quite appropriate to top post and have sigs the
    > way Mr. Rowe did.

    Cuz FrontPage users can barely tie their shoes, let alone post correctly!

    >Suggest you tell your buddies in the alt groups not to
    > cross-post to MS FP newsgroups if you want your petty rules followed.
    >
    > --
    > -----
    > Tom Pepper Willett
    > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
    > -----

    What's wrong, Tommy? Didn't want anyone making fun of the 279 HTML errors
    (per page) generated by your precious FrontPage?

    --
    Karl Core
    EightNineThree, Jun 24, 2003
  7. Re: [meta] Re: Table row height problems

    ROFLMAO to the trolls!

    "EightNineThree" <> wrote in message

    | "Tom Pepper Willett" <> wrote in message
    | <top posting fixed AGAIN
    | > "Sam Hughes" <> wrote in message
    | > | "Thomas A. Rowe" <> wrote in
    | > |
    | > | (quoting fixed)
    | > |

    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | I don't know about the other groups to which all this was crossposted
    | but
    | > | in alt.html it's customary to put your replies below the quoted text.
    | > |
    | > |

    | > | Second, it's bad nettiquite to have a sig that's longer than 4 lines.
    | > |
    | > | Also, you put your sig above the text which you quoted. Another bad
    | > | idea. When viewing your post, all of the quoted text was marked as
    part
    | > | of your signature.
    | > |

    Tom Pepper Willett, Jun 24, 2003
  8. Thomas A. Rowe

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: [meta] Re: Table row height problems

    Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    (quoting fixed again)
    >"Sam Hughes" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I don't know about the other groups to which all this was
    >> crossposted but in alt.html it's customary to put your replies below
    >> the quoted text.
    >>
    >> Second, it's bad nettiquite to have a sig that's longer than 4 lines.
    >>
    >> Also, you put your sig above the text which you quoted. Another bad
    >> idea. When viewing your post, all of the quoted text was marked as part
    >> of your signature.

    > In the FP newsgroups, it's quite appropriate to top post and have
    > sigs the way Mr. Rowe did. Suggest you tell your buddies in the alt
    > groups not to cross-post to MS FP newsgroups if you want your petty
    > rules followed.

    I really don't know why the OP crossposted to so many different groups in
    the first place, but that is beside the point. Apparently any quoting
    style, signature size, etc is deemed appropriate in the FP groups, yes? So
    if we bottom-post and have short signatures, no one minds?

    However, in the HTML newsgroups (and most other places on usenet), it is not
    considered appropriate to post using the method that you do. Hence it is
    you who are in error in posting to these groups, not the other way around.

    We could go into the fact that bottom posting is much more logical than
    top-posting, and the fact that it is the way that it has been done since
    usenet began, but somehow I don't see that it will be much use here, so will
    not waste my time on this any further.

    Good day to you sir.

    --

    Mark Parnell