Re: Table sorting

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Doug Miller, Jun 27, 2013.

  1. Doug Miller

    Doug Miller Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote in news::

    > I Googled on how to dynamically sort tables and found too many
    > possibilities. Anyone here have a preferred method for doing this?

    Depends on what you mean by "tables" -- HTML, SQL database, or dinette?

    Also depends on what you mean by "dynamically sort".

    Please clarify with specifics. You have not provided enough information for a meaningful
    answer.
    Doug Miller, Jun 27, 2013

  2. Doug Miller

    se Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> skrev i meddelelsen
    > Doug Miller wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I Googled on how to dynamically sort tables and found too many
    >>> possibilities. Anyone here have a preferred method for doing this?

    >> Depends on what you mean by "tables" -- HTML, SQL database, or dinette?
    >>
    >> Also depends on what you mean by "dynamically sort".
    >>
    >> Please clarify with specifics. You have not provided enough information
    >> for a meaningful
    >> answer.
    >>

    > Err, well, this is alt.html so, yeah, HTML tables. Simple HTML tables as
    > in:

    > Like that, eh?
    >
    > Sheesh.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net/
    > As I said before, I never repeat myself.

    Wrong forum. Ask your question in a forum of Clairvoyant people.
    If you succeed finding one, then let us know. -Post the url here.
    se, Jun 28, 2013

  3. Doug Miller

    dorayme Guest

    In article <kqj6rb$gp8$>, "se" <> wrote:

    > "Ed Mullen" <> skrev i meddelelsen
    > > Doug Miller wrote:
    > >> Ed Mullen <> wrote in

    > Wrong forum.

    There was nothing wrong with Ed's question here.

    When I once wanted really fast and reliable on one occasion: clicking
    the TH of "suburb" to change a column to postcode - zipcode to u yanks
    - order, I just made two HTML pages with the order prepared, linked to
    each other. Certainly looked dynamic but was not really!

    I also used other methods on other occasions but unlikely to be
    cutting edge these days.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 28, 2013
  4. Doug Miller

    Doug Miller Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote in news::

    > Doug Miller wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen <> wrote in news::
    >>
    >>> I Googled on how to dynamically sort tables and found too many
    >>> possibilities. Anyone here have a preferred method for doing this?

    >> Depends on what you mean by "tables" -- HTML, SQL database, or dinette?
    >>
    >> Also depends on what you mean by "dynamically sort".
    >>
    >> Please clarify with specifics. You have not provided enough information for a meaningful
    >> answer.
    >>

    > Err, well, this is alt.html so, yeah, HTML tables. Simple HTML tables
    > as in:

    > Like that, eh?
    >
    > Sheesh.

    OK, fine, you want to sort HTML tables. What exactly do you want to sort? You have not

    Doug Miller, Jun 28, 2013
  5. Doug Miller

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <XnsA1ED5372516E4dougmilmaccom@78.46.70.116>,
    Doug Miller <> wrote:

    > Ed Mullen <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > Doug Miller wrote:
    > >> Ed Mullen <> wrote in

    > >> Depends on what you mean by "tables" -- HTML, SQL database, or dinette?
    > >>
    > >> Also depends on what you mean by "dynamically sort".
    > >>
    > >> Please clarify with specifics. You have not provided enough information
    > >> for a meaningful
    > >> answer.
    > >>

    > > Err, well, this is alt.html so, yeah, HTML tables. Simple HTML tables
    > > as in:

    > > Like that, eh?
    > >
    > > Sheesh.
    > >

    > OK, fine, you want to sort HTML tables. What exactly do you want to sort? You
    > have not
    > provided enough information for a meaningful answer.
    >
    > Sheesh.

    Personally I get SQLite to present me the data for the table, sorted as
    desired (since that is where my data is). Then I dump the table body
    that was there and rebuild it from scratch.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jun 28, 2013
  6. Doug Miller

    se Guest

    "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelelsen
    > In article <kqj6rb$gp8$>, "se" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Ed Mullen" <> skrev i meddelelsen

    >> Wrong forum.

    > There was nothing wrong with Ed's question here.

    There WAS somting wrong with Ed's first question. And his second
    too - in the sense of scolding. That's what I refered to. Other than that,
    his second at least made it clear what his after. Nevertheless, I refered
    to his first. That's the end of it.

    se, Jun 28, 2013
  7. Doug Miller

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <kqj6rb$gp8$>, "se" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Ed Mullen" <> skrev i meddelelsen

    > >> Wrong forum.

    > > There was nothing wrong with Ed's question here.

    > Thanks, dorayme. Geez. Totally perplexed by those other replies. I
    > thought my query was appropriate, benign and polite. Sheesh.

    Well, and so it was. My solution is not to try to do it in
    HTML/javascript, since my data started in an SQLite database anyway. I
    just alter the "order by" part of the SQL statement, reload the table,
    and Bob's your uncle. Sorted!

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jun 29, 2013
  8. Doug Miller

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > Doug Miller wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen <> wrote in news::
    >>
    >>> I Googled on how to dynamically sort tables and found too many
    >>> possibilities. Anyone here have a preferred method for doing this?

    >> Depends on what you mean by "tables" -- HTML, SQL database, or dinette?
    >>
    >> Also depends on what you mean by "dynamically sort".
    >>
    >> Please clarify with specifics. You have not provided enough information for a meaningful
    >> answer.
    >>

    > Err, well, this is alt.html so, yeah, HTML tables. Simple HTML tables
    > as in:

    When I had to do this I ended up using a cg-local perl script. That
    should give you an idea how long ago that was.

    --
    Try to realize it's all within yourself/No one else can make you change
    Lewis, Jun 30, 2013
  9. Doug Miller

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Tim Streater <> wrote:
    > In article <XnsA1ED5372516E4dougmilmaccom@78.46.70.116>,
    > Doug Miller <> wrote:

    >> Ed Mullen <> wrote in news::

    >> > Err, well, this is alt.html so, yeah, HTML tables. Simple HTML tables
    >> > as in:

    >> > Like that, eh?
    >> >
    >> > Sheesh.
    >> >

    >> OK, fine, you want to sort HTML tables. What exactly do you want to sort? You
    >> have not
    >> provided enough information for a meaningful answer.
    >>
    >> Sheesh.

    > Personally I get SQLite to present me the data for the table, sorted as
    > desired (since that is where my data is). Then I dump the table body
    > that was there and rebuild it from scratch.

    Yes, that's what I would do now, but I still have a text file that is
    loaded by a perl cgi and sorts based on which header is clicked. It was
    written about 12 or 14 years ago and I've not looked at it once since
    then.

    --
    Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.
    Lewis, Jun 30, 2013