Re: tables behave wierdly

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rf, Sep 9, 2010.

  1. rf

    rf Guest

    rudra wrote:
    > On Sep 9, 4:35 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "rudra" <> wrote in message

    >>> Dear friends,
    >>> I am not vary familiar to html, but managed to wrote one, which
    >>> behaves as expected in firefox.
    >>> please have a look at
    >>> http://bose.res.in/~rudra/aboutme.html

    >> That's not a web site. It's a bunch of pictures of text.
    >>
    >> Here is what it looks like using lynx, a text only browser:
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> rudra's
    >> homepage
    >>
    >> [img_abtme.png] [here.png]
    >> [img_work.png]
    >> [img_passion.png]
    >> [img_pics.png]
    >> [img_main.png]
    >> [abtme.png]
    >> [img_blog.png]
    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> That is also what the search engines will see. That is also what any
    >> visually impaired person will hear or feel.

    > I don't know why you cant see the links with it....pictures are there
    > as links representation.

    *I* can see the words in your images. Lynx can't. Google can't. Blind people
    can't. As it's your own personal site you can get away with this. If it were
    a commercial site then in some countries (for example .au) it would be
    against the law.

    Firebug (which you should install if you don't have it already) has an
    option to turn images off. When I do I see a totally blank screen. No
    information at all. Except for the blue background, that is.

    Your web site is nothing but pictures of text. Not real text. Pictures of
    text. And you don't even have an alt attribute specified that would replace
    the images for those who cannot see the images. Really, the last time I
    argued about somebody over this matter was last century. The web has moved
    on since then. We now know about usability and accessibility.

    As to your actual problem with the left hand nav I had a quick look with
    Chrome. Yes, ugly. Why do you specify height=40% for those images of text?
    40% of what? The height of the td? The height of, well, whatever? That is
    likely your problem.

    When you convert those links to real text you won't have the problem anyway
    :)

    Oh, and why are you using transitional? What are you transitioning from?

    I think it's time to get rid of Quanta Plus and learn how to code real HTML.

    rf, Sep 9, 2010

  2. rf

    rudra Guest

    Dear rf,
    thanks for your suggestion.
    As i said, html is not by something I really do very much, can you
    give me some suggestion (links/ tutorials) of how I can keep the same
    presentation using text?
    I also want to get rid of pictures, but don't know how to make the
    same effect(shadow, bevel etc with the text). so i used the image.....
    Any suggestion on this is really helpful for me.

    As far as height is concerned, that's what i got in a tutorial of
    w3c.....guess i need to recheck once again.

    rudra, Sep 9, 2010

  3. rudra wrote:
    > Dear rf,
    > thanks for your suggestion.
    > As i said, html is not by something I really do very much, can you
    > give me some suggestion (links/ tutorials) of how I can keep the same
    > presentation using text?
    > I also want to get rid of pictures, but don't know how to make the
    > same effect(shadow, bevel etc with the text). so i used the image.....
    > Any suggestion on this is really helpful for me.

    Well you can with CSS3 styling, but you must realize that not all
    browsers support CSS3, i.e., MSIE users will not see the shadows. Here
    is page from a blog that shows examples:

    http://www.zenelements.com/blog/css3-text-shadow/

    > As far as height is concerned, that's what i got in a tutorial of
    > w3c.....guess i need to recheck once again.

    Do you mean from w3schools.com? If so, note that w3schools.com has no
    association with the W3C of w3.org and their tutorials are full of
    errors and do not always present best practices for web design...a
    better online source for tutorials is htmldog.com.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 9, 2010
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed rudra <>
    writing in news:db7cc2ee-6192-44b1-9baa-ca0702fffaf2
    @g21g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

    > Dear rf,
    > thanks for your suggestion.
    > As i said, html is not by something I really do very much, can you
    > give me some suggestion (links/ tutorials) of how I can keep the same
    > presentation using text?

    There are plenty of good HTML tutorials, I would start with HTML Dog,
    [http://htmldog.com].

    > I also want to get rid of pictures, but don't know how to make the
    > same effect(shadow, bevel etc with the text). so i used the image.....
    > Any suggestion on this is really helpful for me.

    Shadows are fine on logos or heading text, and can be done with CSS in
    browsers that support it, or you can create an image that does that.
    However, it can make regular text difficult to read.

    > As far as height is concerned, that's what i got in a tutorial of
    > w3c.....guess i need to recheck once again.

    Stay away from them, the only thing they have in common with the W3C is
    the name. They are not a standards body. This is where you really want
    to go:
    [http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/]

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home